Sorry Jason

the image is not mine, my homage to the one who created it

He was perched on a gargoyle watching the information on his phone, the Joker was back in prison and Black Mask was released after serving his sentence. But nothing on Jason. Dick blamed himself for what had happened to his little brother, it was a wound he would carry for the rest of his life. As soon as Bruce told him he was becoming the new Robin, he was angry with his mentor and his replacement, Shit, he didn't even hide his disgust for the kid every time he was at the manor. But when Jason died, when Bruce told him about this new tragedy, he broke, he had never been there for him, not there to counsel him, never there to improve their relationship, he just abased him . If he could go back in time to rectify this mistake, he would do so without hesitation. Dick straightens up and jumps, he uses his grapple to move around and clear his head, he knew he needed it. Her short walk took her to the cemetery where Jason's grave was located, Bruce had told her that he had buried in the family cemetery which was not on the grounds of Wayne Manor. He landed in front of the cemetery and walked to where the grave was. His walk was slow as if he was afraid of what he was going to find, but when he was at the place where the grave was, he saw a man, tall with a leather jacket, black hair with some white strand flying in the wind, he knew who he was and it hurt to see him like that.

- "Jason" calls Dick lightly but regretfully.

The concerned one turns around and sees his brother in a suit. He was wearing a black outfit with a red bird emblem on his chest.

- "Hey, Golden Boy, new suit, changed your old one after we met. "

- "Yes I did, why are you here?" he asks why

- "I just wanted to see where I was buried, I'm surprised to be buried in the Wayne family cemetery. "

- " At first he wanted to do it on the mansion grounds but he thought it would be a better tribute to you by putting you in this cemetery. " Jason says nothing and keeps looking at the grave.

A silence resounds again before Jason hears Dick's voice again.

- "Jason, I want to tell you I'm sorry"

- "What?" Jason answers surprised

- "I am truly sorry for what I did, I shouldn't have treated you the way I did, I should have loved you like the little brother you wereddd, I'm sorry, Jason. "

- "Dick, I don't blame you, I would have reacted like you did, damn it, I reacted like you when I found my replacement. "

- "Have you met him before? Jason, was it you who almost killed Tim in that cemetery when Bruce was looking for Hush?!!!" Question Dick, slightly annoyed

- " Oh ! Dick, you know very well that I would not have killed the subsatz. " answers Jason

- "You almost sliced his jugular!"

- "And I wouldn't have had to, if Bruce hadn't replaced me!" - "He didn't replace you Jason, Hell, he never wanted to replace you! Your death traumatized her and he didn't want Robin anymore. "

- "Then why did that substitute become Robin?"

- "Batman needs a Robin to keep him in mind and Tim understood that, it took Bruce a year to accept him as Robin. " explains Dick

Blüdhaven's bird gets closer to its brother and lays down a hand on his shoulder before we resume the conversation.

- "I'm sorry about what happened to you, Jason, if Bruce or I had a way to rectify what happened, we would have done it."

- "You know there was a way to do it."

- "No, Jason!" For the first time in the conversation, Jason turned around to look his brother in the eye

- "That's what Bruce said, why is it so hard to kill him?"

- "It's complicated."

- "Oh, it's complicated!" Jason said, shaking up his voice before catching Dick Pass, bringing him back a few inches from his face." Tell me what's complicated, Golden Boy, is that complicated to let my killer go free, is that complicated not to stop his future victims, is that complicated not to stop a new Robin from dying, so tell me Grayson, why is it complicated for Bruce to kill the Joker?"

- "Because he won't be able to stop Jason! He wanted to kill the Joker for what he did to you. He even planned to accept Ra's offer to use the Lazarus pit, but Superman and I stopped him. " explains Dick calmly.

- "Why? Why! Tell me why you stopped him from getting even, give me one fucking reason why you did!" Jason shouts as he tightens his grip

- "Because I wanted to! "It wasn't Bruce's job to kill the Joker, it was mine to do and I did it!" Dick replied, shouting in turn.

At that moment a bolt of lightning struck the ground and the rain began to fall. Jason could see the look in Richard's eyes, a sad, bitter look full of regret, he could even see tears falling on his brother's cheek as he tried to hold them back. As for Dick, he could also see the look in Jason's eyes, a look filled with anger and reproach. His brother released him and sat down by his grave.

- "Have you done it? but then how ?" He's asking

- "Bruce had called Tim and me on a mission concerning the Joker. I found it when I got the report of Tim missing, he made fun of your death, and I started beating him until he died. Bruce came and revived her, but if he had come a few seconds later, he would have died for good. " tells Dick

Jason was stunned again, Dick Grayson, the Golden Boy broke Bruce's rule for him. He put a hand through damp hair before looking his brother in the eyes again.

- "What did it do to you?" Question Jason again

- "Kill the Joker? I'm not gonna lie to you, it made me feel good at the time, but when I thought about it, I realized it was useless, you were dead, Jason, and killing him didn't bring you back, and I never could have. Bruce doesn't want to kill because he doesn't want to become what he's fighting for, but for me, I refuse to kill because it won't bring back the people who were killed. In the end, it would be killed only to kill, not for Justice, not for Revenge, just for nothing. " replies his brother looking up at the sky.

- "I think, I think I should go", announces Jason about to pull out his grapple

- "Jason! Before I leave, I would like to tell you that I love you, no matter if you choose this path, I will always love you. " In the end, a tear fell from Jason's face and he left.

A weight lifted off Dick's shoulders as he looked up at the sky. He knew that the past would come back to him at some point, he was aware of it, but for the moment, as he sat in front of Jason's grave, he couldn't help but smile and fix a mistake from the past.

Little one-shot on what might have happened after Under the red hood. I have tried my best to transcribe what Dick might have felt when he emptied his bag and despite my huge shortcomings in Nightwing comics, I think the goal has been accomplished. I've already started working on the sequel to the one-shot Batman death of the demon, so don't worry, I haven't forgotten it and I think it might be the longest one-shot I've ever written. To wait, another one shot already written will be released and for Damian fans, for the next story, please don't kill me for what I did.