Chapter 19 // The Aftermath\\

"Alright Nikki, it's sounding great man, but let's back up and re run that last verse." Mark Stevenson said into the microphone from behind the mixing board.

"Yeah man, sounds good. Start up at pass the sun?"

"Yep!"

Mark pressed play on the board and the guitar chords flooded into the recording booth. Nikki waited for his cue to start singing.

pass the sun
say goodbye to everyone
we'll fall in love
as we pass the sun

hang from a star
forget just who we are
it's outta sight
oh so outta sight

from the moon
to the stars
to the sun
baby I'm in love

As the guitar track faded out Mark came back over the speaker, "Amazing Nik! I think we've got everything done now. I'll work my magic and have you come back down next week to hear the final version."

Nikki walked out of the booth and into the mixing studio, "That's great man," He said reaching his fist out to meet Marks," thanks again for taking time to record this."

" No problem Nikki, anything for Layla." He said with a smile.

Nodding his head Nikki replied,"Anything for Layla."

Nikki pulled his Jeep into the driveway after a long drive back from Marks studio in Long Beach.
He walked into the kitchen from the garage and saw Layla through the patio doors lounging in the sunlight reading her book, Quinn sprawled out on the cement beside her.
He debated about not bothering her since she looked so peaceful lost in the pages of the novel.
Deciding against it Nikki opened the french doors and sat down on the bottom half of chaise lounge Layla was on.

"Hey babe, how did it go today?" Layla questioned.

"It went well! We're all done in fact, I just have to go back next week to review and approve the final version."

"That's amazing Nikki, I'm so proud of you." She said with a large smile on her face. Layla leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the lips. She quietly whispered a soft I love you into his ear.

Layla gathered his strong hands into her delicate ones, " I have something to tell you, Tommy and Shannon got the call yesterday. She called me this morning and they want to come over tonight to share the results with us."

" Did she seem upset?"

" No she didn't, at least I couldn't tell over the phone."

Nikki could feel the anxiety start to bloom in the pit of his stomach.

"Okay, I'm going to go get cleaned up then, take a shower." He said getting up from his seat.

"I'll be in as soon as I'm done this chapter." She replied focusing on the pages in her hand.

*Nikki POV*
As soon as I stepped into the bathroom I started ripping my clothes off. I stepped into the scalding hot water, letting it pour over the muscles in my back. I leaned over put my hands against the shower wall and took a few deep breaths. What I wouldn't do for a fucking joint right now. They haven't even told me the results yet and I'm fucking falling apart. I need to get a grip, the lead up is always worse right?

After a little while I heard the shower door open, Layla stepped in and wrapped her arms around my waist.
" Nikki... I love you. I need you to remember that. No matter what happens, I love you, and I'm not going anywhere. You're my guy."

"It's just this is so overwhelming. I mean I just started being able to process emotions like 9 months ago." I chuckled gruffly.
"I know baby, I know." She hugged me tighter. "I'm going to get you washed up and then we have to get ready, they'll be here soon." She grabbed the body wash and lathered it up in her hands and started scrubbing my chest and arms.
"Layla, I can wash myself." I laughed.