Chapter 67: The Mind-Bending Session

Start from the beginning

"Perhaps, but one of little importance now and for another time," was Matilda's mild reply.

"And who is this young lady, then?" Misako glanced warmly at Liana, studying her cloudy eyes and white scars.

"An old lady and a ninja girl. Were you guys trying to replace me and Misako while we were out of the game?" Jay deadpanned.

"Ha, as if," Cole protested. "Matilda's kinda been involved with this thing about the Moon Tribe for a long time. Liana... just kind of... accidentally fell into it."

"Actually, you brought me into it," Liana retorted with a dry smile. "I didn't ask for you and your buddies to break into my room in the middle of the night."

"Aw, jeez, Liana, we had nekomata after us!"

"How the heck do you two know each other?" Jay said, looking curiously between Cole and Liana. "Last time I asked, everyone treated me like I was chopped liver."

"Sorry." Cole gave a brief, yet honest explanation of how he had met Liana, her brother Philip, and Matilda years ago, when he had run away from dance school, just before meeting Master Wu.

Jay's face sparked with recognition at Philip's name, causing Cole to remember that Jay had caught him at Philip's grave one night, and that he had told him part of this story.

"Was he—?" he started.

Cole silenced him with a sharp look. Jay frowned at him, perplexed, but miraculously decided to keep his mouth shut. Cole didn't want him to bring up that night at the cemetery; it would cause too much confusion among the other listeners, more than it was worth. Better to talk about it alone. Cole motioned to Jay, and the pair of them walked up the gangplank and onto the empty deck.

"Where's Zane?" Jay glanced around, frowning. "I didn't see him down there."

"Probably at the computers or something. He'll most likely show up soon." At that moment, Cole didn't really care where Zane was or what he was doing.

Jay cast Cole a keen look. "What was that about?"

"It'd be too confusing to explain how you caught me at Philip's grave that night, and to answer your own questions," Cole replied, glancing over the side down to where the group was still conversing. Nya glanced up at the boys on deck, but made no move to join them.

"So... Liana is Philip's sister, and she's the one who told Kai that night to tell you to meet her at the bridge." Jay smirked, crossing his arms. "You didn't tell me you were so close to your old pal's sister."

"It wasn't important at the time."

"You sure you aren't keeping any other secrets from us, Cole?"

Those afternoons and nights spent with Liana in the gym flashed in his head. "Pretty sure."

Jay's gaze drifted away from his friend's face, much to Cole's relief. He looked out beyond the Bounty and to the landscape, where the others stood. He leaned against the railing. "So... two weeks."

"Yup." Cole joined him. "Lots have happened since you were kidnapped."

"I can tell." Jay chanted, "Shape-shifting cat-people, witches, magic rocks, evil spells, tragic backstories, new suits, new weapons, new ninja... You guys sure have been busy. You even got new teammates."

"Liana's not a ninja yet—we're still trying to figure out what her power is."

"Yeah, right, OK." Jay paused, then cast him a sly smirk. "So... is there, like, a thing between you two?"