Chapter 2 - It Happened Again!

Start from the beginning

Aarohi was feeling like banging her head on a brick wall or banging someone else's head on the wall. She couldn't understand how was she supposed to behave. Was she supposed to be naive, timid and shy? She couldn't understand why the hell these people had even agreed to see her. She belonged to a middle class family, she wasn't even that beautiful, they were super rich and could've got someone who was hundred times better and thousand times prettier than her for their handsome son. Well, if they are really interested in her then so be it. Her mother had asked her to behave and she'll but she won't give them a fake impression of perfection. She'll just be her real self, she thought. His parents seemed to be nice people. Mr Akash and his wife Sandhya Agarwal talked to her and asked her questions trying to know her better. She casually answered them with her usual confidence and honesty. She saw her mother glaring at her from the corner of her eyes trying to silently convey her to keep her words in check and her answers short but Aarohi simply ignored. Since the time she had entered the living room, she could feel Vihaan's gaze on her. He looked at her intensely not in a creepy way but as if he was genuinely interested in her. The way we look at something we want to intently study. The way she looked at her patient's reports while diagnosing them. Similarly. This agitated her more. She had even glared back at him feeling that this action of hers will snap him back to reality and make him divert his attention but instead he challenged her by continuing to stare at her. She took in his appearance and scoffed internally. Their parents continued the conversation and she couldn't care less about it. Vihaan was handsome, way too handsome. Tall with fair tanned complexion, black coal eyes and black jet hair which were perfectly gelled. His features were sharp, body was precisely sculpted, she could tell that he gave adequate importance to his fitness, he had slight beard on his face that made him appear intimidating. He was such a fine specimen and she was nothing but ordinary. He screamed of money and authority and everything powerful. He was charming enough to get any woman he wanted then why her!? Did he just like her didn't know the person he was going to meet? Did he not know anything about her just as she didn't know anything about him? For heaven's sake she didn't even know his name until her father called him to ask some questions. Her myriad of thoughts was broken with the ringing of her phone. She excused herself to take the call.

"Hello Dr. Sharma."

"Yes, Dr Mehra."

"We need you here. It's an emergency. I know you'd been granted a two day leave but we need you right now to make up for Dr Ahuja's absence. His mother had an attack a few hours back and hence he couldn't be here. He has some important appointments lined up that can't be delayed. We've other doctors in the paediatrician ward but they aren't as experienced and capable as you two," Dr Mehra explained.

"No worries doctor. I'll be there. I hope Dr Ahuja's mother is okay now."

"She's out of danger. Don't worry. I'll mail you the necessary information."

"Sure! I'll try to reach as early as possible." She hung up the call.

She went back to the living room where everyone was chattering happily. "Excuse me," she spoke gathering their attention.

"I'm really sorry but there's an emergency and I need to be at the hospital. I know it's rude to leave in the middle but I really can't help it. I hope y'all don't mind," she bit her lip anxiously, her voice soft and sincere.

"But you'd taken a leave of two days, didn't you!?" her mother questioned.

"I had. But duty calls. I'm sorry. I need to leave." She hurried to her room, got changed quickly into a peach top and black jeans, washed her face, braided her hair, grabbed her purse which had all the necessities, put on the wrist watch and left the house muttering a quick apology once again.