2 - The Life Debt

I dropped my bag immediately. My jaw agape and my eyes wide in disbelief. This could not be happening. My luck could not be that bad. This must be some kind of joke, I waited for someone to start laughing. The only thing close was the slight chuckle that escaped his lips. Without saying a word, I stormed out of the door and back down to the front office. There is no way, I refuse to spend the rest of my year living with that vile boy. I would be surprised at myself if I didn't throttle him by the end of the day.

'Excuse me?' I politely asked the old lady at the front desk who was packing up for the night. Her face dimmed at the sight of me, just wanting to get home.

'What can I help you with?' She asked with an efficient, strong tone and a clear false kindness.

'Well I think there was a mistake with my room. I would like to request a change' I smiled sweetly, hoping that it would help my case. She sighed, moved her paperwork to the side and stared up at me. Her eyes were flat and emotionless, I could tell she just wanted me to leave.

'Really? What's the reason?' She queried. I gathered my thoughts, I didn't want to look like an idiot.

'The boy who I share the room with, we don't get on. I think it might actually affect my work and my focus.' I basically pleader to her. She began to roll her eyes but then stopped herself when she realised I was watching. She sighed yet again.

'Miss, I'm afraid that isn't reason enough and even if it were, even if I wanted to help you-all rooms are full, some girl just took the last one. If you wish to further your complaints, I have multiple faculty feedback and complaint forms...' She began to recite robotically, like she was reading a bland book.

'There's really nothing that can be done?' I whined, I was desperate and was beginning to show it.

'Sorry sweetie' She plastered on a fake smile, 'Have a nice night' her words ushering me out of the door and carrying me to my room. I stood outside, having a staring contest with the handle, not wanting to enter. The thought passed my mind of just going back to the burning building and using the flames to keep warm. It couldn't be much worse that what was awaiting me inside. The door swung open, Adrien's smug face leaned against the frame.

'Are you planning on sleeping in the hallway? I can help move your things' He sneered sarcastically. I tossed my eyes to the back of my head, had the feeling that was going to be a recurring theme when we had these delightful, little chats.

'Seriously considering it' I replied, matching his attitude. He stared blankly at me before moving the door aside and clearing a space for me to pass. I looked him up and down with suspicion. He scoffed and walked away, leaving me alone in the doorway. That was some sort of welcome, I guess.

I cautiously stepped inside and wandered around. It looked identical to Luka's room, except the furnishings were a lot shinier and all in all, more expensive. That was unsurprising. He was clearly used to his way of life and demanded it be brought with him. Come to think of it, I found it quite strange how the richest kid in Paris, maybe even France, was using university accommodation. Why not just buy the building next door? He thinks he's above everyone, so why would he choose to live among them? This boy was more confusing than abstract algebra.

I walked into our bedroom. 'Our'. I hated that. I threw my bag onto the single bed and began to unpack. I didn't have much storage but then again, I didn't have much to fill it. I was lucky that the university were collecting charity bags, from the girls attending, for me. I lost everything and didn't have the funds to restock my wardrobe. For now, I had to make do with the contents of the lost and found. As I finished unloading, I felt a presence looming over me. He was standing right behind me.