"T- The were- werewolves took her!"

The prince threw a sweating and panting Ciaran on the floor. "Is there something else you want to add? I advice you to talk fast!"

"I watched the man... he is dangerous, lord. He killed the mutt and left a trail to the woman's place. That's why she got caught. And he turned the hut upside down, searching for something."

"Did he find what he searched for?" Caleb asked.

"I don't know, my King, I left, I was afraid that he will spot me..."

"You useless coward!" The prince exclaimed, full of rage. He dashed to the human's neck, only to be stopped by the king.

Ciaran fell to his knees. "When will you turn me, Lord?" The lower asked. He will soon be one of them, no longer a weak human. The King agreed, that's why he risked himself to spy for them. He was sure that now, with those information he brought, he is worthy.

Declan looked puzzled to his superior, who threw him a meaningful look.

"I have yet to decide. You will go with my second and a few others. We need the man. Find out if he took anything from the woman's place."

Turning to the prince, he added- "Bring him alive. You leave in an hour."

He dismissed the lower with a wave of his hand, turning to his seat.

Declan waited till the lower was gone. "Don't tell me you are considering turning that unworthy filth into one of us!'

Caressing his freshly shaved chin, the king replied. "You should watch your tone with me. I am the one who chooses who will be turned, not you."

He passed his hand through his dark hair then nudged with the tip of his boot the unconscious woman he fed on before Ciaran interrupted.

"Besides, you know the price- death for life. And we have to pay if we want to turn more. That simpleton will serve his purpose."

The prince threw a wicked smile, nodding his head. "The daylight will catch me on my mission. I shall seek shelter in one of our places."

"Take two low-ranked with you. Don't draw attention, Declan. I count on you."

"I will not disappoint, my King."

.....

The rusty key opened the door with a squeak. Caleb walked inside the medium-sized room, scrunching his nose in his hand at the moldy, putrid smell. He hasn't been in here for over a decade.

This room was one of the oldest in the manor, and belonged once to a human small king, in the time before the demon.

The cold moonlight fell on the old bricks of the fireplace, illuminating the spot.

He pressed his palms on different spots, revealing an opening in the wall. Taking out the book, he focused.

After his sharp senses confirmed no other being's presence, he wiped the dust from the cover and opened it. It's been eighteen years since he read it- first and last time, eighteen years since he pulled the book out of Ilre's clenched fists. The unconscious dawner was bleeding like a pig from the wound in his chest and, if not for him, he would've been dead.

Caleb recalled how he fought the urge to feed on his blood, only because a page was missing. The one that contained the code. Instead, he made sure the human will live. After all, why kill someone who kills your enemy? And, besides, the lower was ambitious, and would search for the page.

Finally, after all this time, one spy brought him good news. Ilre was worth the waiting.

With the book open in his hands, the nightwalker took a seat near the window and read.