Extra (LXCxJC): The Demons Descend

~JIANG CHENG'S POV~

Jiang Cheng felt a headache building as he looked up at his reflection in the mirror. Tears streamed down his face, and dark shadows formed under his eyes. His hair was tangled while wrinkles covered his robes.

He sighed. He was a mess.

That was to be expected though.

He had another nightmare- this time one full of blood and tears. He dreamed about Lotus Pier, dreamed about his mother's face, twisting in despair. He saw the desperate look in his father's eyes, as he held his wife's broken and battered body in his arms. He saw the tears that streaked down their faces, as his father whispered words of devotion in his lady's ear. He saw the sword- the soldier that came up behind his father, piercing his chest with a sword. He saw the look of relief flash in Jiang Fengmian's eyes as he collapsed atop his wife- his hands still tangled with hers. He saw the cackling Wen Chao, standing in the shadows with his hands crossed behind his back, looking on in amusement. He saw the Core Melting Hand, saw Wen Zhuliu shake his head and take something from his mother's hair. It was a jade hairpin- the same one his father had bought for her three days ago.

Jiang Cheng felt the tears well up in his watery eyes, before he blinked them away. What good was tears? They were gone anyways. And it wasn't like a few extra tears could bring them back.

He gave a weary sigh. It was always the same nightmare. Every night, without fail, he would dream about Wei Wuxian and Lotus Pier. He always saw the same terrified eyes, the same faces contorted in agony as their bodies burned to ashes.

The ghosts of the past haunted him- his own demons descending upon him. They feasted at night, preying on the dark recesses of his mind.

Jiang Cheng felt old insecurities flicker to life inside him, as that stupid voice started up again. That little voice in the back of his head that made him doubt himself, and question every move he made. The whispers that surrounded him, telling him how useless and foolish he was. The murmurs taunted him, declaring how he would've never surpassed Wei Wuxian- and the only reason he had, was because of his brother's sacrifice.

Jiang Cheng heard the shouts and screams of Lotus Pier, echoing in his mind. He heard mother's scolding voice, harshly putting him in his place. He heard father's pleading calls, begging his lady to leave. He heard Yu Ziyuan's quick refusal, and saw as Zidian was pressed into his hand, wrapping around him- caging him in it's vice like grip. Jiang Cheng heard the cries, saw the tears trailing from his face. He saw the sixteen year old boy slowly start to break apart- his face cracking in pain when he realized that he was never going to see his family again. He saw the smoke that drifted across Lotus Pier. He saw an endless sea of red, slowly engulfing his beautiful home- tainting its waters with their bloodshed. He saw the bodies, the corpses that were carelessly tossed aside. He saw the faces of his friends, and fellow disciples lying down on the grass, the blood coating their robes. He saw the determination, the resolute look on his parent's faces. He saw the bruising kiss his mother had pulled her husband into, and the sad smile that brushed across her lips when they finally pulled apart.

Jiang Cheng still remembered the shock on his face when he saw that. He remembered the confusion and bewilderment he felt when he saw his parents kissing. Because for as long as he could remember, his parents were distant. They were both cold and bitter, each grieving in their own way. Jiang Fengmian had been grieving the loss of his dearest love- his darling Cangse Sanren. Yu Ziyuan had been mourning her marriage- her unhappy relationship with her husband.

Jiang Cheng's brows furrowed. To this day, he still didn't quite understand what made his mother do such a thing. All he remembered was the hope- the spark of joy that lit up inside him. Perhaps she truly did love his father. And from the desperate way he had kissed her back- perhaps he truly loved her too.