Chapter 17: Chuan Han's Story

"Who is that?" he asked pointing to the person inside the tomb. 

Wei Ying scrunched up his brows. The tapping sound was gone now, but clearly whoever this body belonged to, was important. He just wasn't sure how. Wei Ying tried to rack his brain, 'Maybe this man had studied at Gusu? No... Wei Ying was sure he had never seen this man in cloud recesses before. Was this another hero of the sunshot campaign? Perhaps. Back then, Wei Ying didn't really know- nor did he care, about anyone besides Jiang Cheng, Shijie, and Lan Zhan.'  

"Hm..." he mused. "Who are y-!" he yelped when a strong surge of resentment suddenly hit him. Wei Ying felt his body collasping as he was unwittingly pulled into Empathy. He felt his vision darkening, the last thing he heard being the juniors panicked shouts. Wei Ying's head was splitting open, 'Just a minute. Let me rest... I'll deal with all of this after a quick nap...'  he thought before being sucked into oblivion. 

-------

When Wei Ying opened his eyes, he saw a strange sight. He looked down to see pretty young maidens sashaying around giggling. He heard the rambunctious laughter and hearty bellows below him. Stories were told in a loud, obnoxious fashion. Seductive smiles were exchanged and barely there clothing littered the area. The pitter patter of rain could be heard, gently sliding down from the rooftops. 

A bitter feeling swept across him. 'Why was everyone else having fun when he was stuck in the attic? It wasn't fair.' 

Wei Ying was confused. What was he doing in a brothel? 

"Chuan Han?" a soft voice called. Wei Ying immediately stiffened. He knew that calm and collected voice anywhere! That voice that held a tint of liveliness to it, but at the same time, still maintained its seriousness. 

"Meng Yao?" he found himself replying. 

He was met with a sharp grin, "Brother Chuan. I've come to bring you food." Jin Guangyao said before gently setting down some bread and water. It was the bare minimum, but Wei Ying found himself grateful nonetheless. 

Wei Ying had heard rumors of Lian-Fang Zun growing up in a brothel, but he had never thought much of it. In fact, if anything, it made him admire the man more. He somehow managed to thrive despite having such humble roots. It was no small feat, especially with the cultivational world being as hypocritical and arrogant as it was. 

"Brother Chuan, since you've eaten my food, are we somewhat brothers now?" Jin Guangyao teased, his voice was light but the undertone of it suggested something deeper. 

A pause, slight hesitation on the other end. "Mhm," the other finally grunted, happy to finally have something to ease his hunger. 

Wei Ying frowned and thought, 'So the man inside the coffin was Chuan Han? Who even is that? And what does this Chuan Han have to do with Lian-Fang Zun? From the looks of it, they were childhood friends. But what happened? What changed?'

"Brother Meng..." a shy Chuan Han replied, looking down as he blushed. 

Jin Guangyao clapped his hands in glee, "You needn't be shy! We're brothers now!" he called with childish delight. 

Chuan Han smiled. It was a small smile, but one that opened the door to a whirlwind of possibilities. 

Wei Ying quirked a brow up. At this point, his eyebrows were engaged in a serious discussion with his hairline. He sighed, "Children will always be children," he muttered with a small smile of his own. 

-------

"Meng Yao!" a deep voice called. It was Chuan Han. Nearly 13 years had passed since that fateful night in the attic. 13 years of fooling around, shouldering responsibilities, and weathering the storms. 13 years of what seemed to be an everlasting friendship.