Chapter 1: The Bitter Wait

~LAN ZHAN'S POV~

The sun shone down from above. It's brilliant light mocking him. It's rays radiated liveliness and untouched naivety. A bitter smile blossomed upon his face as agony flashed through him, quick as a snake, winding its way through his body before trapping him with its deathly grasp. Melancholy bloomed in him, and he embraced like old friends they were. There was a flash of grief, of utter heartache and regret. He saw a face lost in the wind; saw a fleeting love and gentle face, tearing through him in the space of a heartbeat before disappearing and spiraling in a frenzied fall. A fat drop of salt trickled down his cheek, and he let it drip down his face.

His eyes wandered across the lush field of green. Tiny balls of fluff were rolling around in the grass. They wiggled their cotton ball tails, and yipped at each other under the sun. The rabbits were all black and white, with a little splash of pink across their noses. One of the white ones had a white ribbon, decorated with cloud patterns tied to it's furry face. It's partner was a black bunny, that had a red ribbon, adorned with a purple trim and crimson clouds. Both were male.

How fitting.

Once, Wei Ying had brought him a few of these furballs to eat. Lan Zhan had quickly grabbed them out of his hands, trying to save them from their apparent deaths. When Wei Ying saw how possessive Lan Zhan was getting, he had laughed hysterically at him and said "oh Lan Zhan, you old fuddy duddy, I can't believe a man of your stature has a soft spot for rabbits!"

A smile formed on Lan Zhan's face at the memory. It was a sad and wistful smile, reminiscent of things long gone. If only Wei Ying would see him now, treasuring these little lumps of fur like precious gems. How he would laugh at him, a carefree joyous giggle. If only Wei Ying were here- Lan Zhan would let him laugh to his heart's content.

"Father!" a voice called out, lighthearted and sincere. Si Zhui, their child.

Lan Zhan had found him holed up in a tree, desperately clinging to life. He had gone against his uncles orders, and taken the boy back to Gusu. Lan Zhan remembered the first time he met Si Zhui, he was still an excited little boy. Si Zhui had clung to Lan Zhan's robes, pleading with him before Lan Zhan had finally caved and bought him an armful of toys. Lan Zhan smirked. He still remembered the outraged look on Wei Ying's face when he saw them together. "Lan Zhan..." he had whined, "You don't even buy ME this many things." he had pouted, jealous of a three year old.

Lan Zhan sighed, reminiscing the past fondly. He looked at Si Zhui. "Hello," Lan Zhan replied, voice as cold as ever. Though this time, his eyes held a tad bit of warmth in them, as he looked on in pride at the polite and calm young man he had raised.

"Father," the voice said again, this time more subdued. "Are you with the rabbits again?" Si Zhui asked curiously, being careful to keep his distance. His father was a private man who wasn't too big on relationships. It wasn't his fault- it was just the way he was raised. The Gusu Lan Sect was infamous for its wall of discipline: 3,000 rules carved on a large rock, overlooking the entrance to the Sect. Every one of its disciples were known as the leaders of their generation. Si Zhui's father in particular was a model for his fellow cultivators to follow. Lan Wang Ji, or better known as the great Han-Guang Jun was both skilled in cultivation and looks. He was one of the twin jades that Gusu was so proud of. With his silky hair, milky white skin, and golden eyes that seemed to pierce your very soul- he was as handsome as he was deadly.

"Mn," Lan Zhan replied curtly. He was not a man of many words. It wasn't that he slacked off, just that he tried to be as brief and efficient as possible.

"Can I help?"

"Mn." Lan Zhan nodded handing a freshly bought carrot over to Si Zhui. After pondering for a while, he handed the young man a second carrot. "For you," he gestured.

Si Zhui blushed and ducked his head. "Thank you," he mumbled, face still bright red. When Si Zhui was young, his father had often brought him to visit the rabbits- even going as far as to bury him in a mound of bunnies once. He had developed his love for carrots at the tender age of six when he accidently got in a fight with a rabbit. Si Zhui had grabbed the half eaten carrot out of the poor bunnies half opened mouth before popping it in his own mouth and chomping away. Ever since, he'd developed a certain affinity for carrots and his father would always make sure to give Si Zhui an extra one for himself.

They sat in silence for a while with Si Zhui constantly taking peeks at Lan Zhan when he thought the latter wasn't looking. He seemed to be contemplating something before letting out a tiny sigh and looking away. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't as stealthy as he thought.

"Speak." Lan Zhan said seeing that the boy desperately to ask something.

Si Zhui wasn't surprised he was caught. Though his father never spoke much, he was always very aware of his surroundings. Even the tiniest gestures would be caught under Han-Guang Jun's watchful eye.

Lan Sizhui took a deep breath and gathered his courage, "Father, who are you looking for?" he asked, referring to the Inquiry his father played every night. At first, Si Zhui hadn't thought much of it, thinking it was probably to solve a haunting or to unravel mysteries for a case. But the sounds of the guqin persisted.

Every night.

For the past 13 years.