Chapter 34: Blue Bells Ring

"Shhh, it's ok Xichen. It's not your fault..." 

~JIANG CHENG'S POV~

It had been nearly eight months since the last siege of Lotus Pier, and everything had more or less gotten back to normal. Besides Jin Guangyao getting mysteriously killed in the dead of night- the cultivational world hadn't really suffered any serious casualties. The major sects had reached a sort of equilibrium, where no sect wanted to one up the others. The Jin, Jiang, and Lan Sect Leaders were all part of a family of sorts. While the Nie Sect was still on the rebuild and didn't want to draw too much attention to itself. And why would it? After all, Jin Guangyao was dead and Nie Huaisang had gotten his wish. 

Jiang Cheng let out a sigh. Out of all the sects, Gusu Lan was probably the most influential. The Nie Sect was still being led by that headshaker, and the Jin Sect's reputation was in pieces- the only thing keeping it up, being the Yunmeng Jiang Sect. 

He rolled his eyes as he surveyed the scene before him. 

Arguing juniors? Check. 

Idiotic disciples? Check. 

Insufferable leaders? Check. 

Shameless couples? Check. 

Jiang Cheng scowled, glaring at Wei Wuxian's retreating figure. The latter gave him a wink and salute, before he dragged his husband away. 

Husband... Jiang Cheng found his frown deepening as a bitter feeling swept through him. 

Ah yes. Leave it to Wei Wuxian to scream and cry for a wedding mere minutes after the Chief Cultivators death. That fucker. Took one look at the corpse on the ground, and fell to his knees- sobbing his heart out. 

Jiang Cheng had been stunned. After all, Wei Wuxian had hated Jin Guangyao, and nearly killed the man himself. His eyes had widened when the tears started trailing, and he rushed to help his brother. And that's when he realized. 

His brother was never sad about Jin Guangyao's death- rather, he was lamenting that he wasn't the one to finish the job! 

Jiang Cheng had glowered and narrowed his eyes at him, when Wei Wuxian suddenly pushed him away, and latched onto Lan Wangji. The younger man had started whining about how short life was and how he wasn't ready to leave Lotus Pier yet. Something about how the old man Qiren was going to kill him and stuff his corpse down the toilet. 

One thing led to another, and soon, Jiang Cheng found himself officiating a wedding! He scoffed. He hadn't even been able to plan anything before those two lovebirds had dragged him to an alter, and did their three bows before him. A wave of resent surged through him. Wei Wuxian was going to be the death of him. 

He hadn't gotten to sending dowry, or wedding invitations, or hell even properly set the date- before the wedding was already over!

Jiang Cheng frowned. When it was his turn, he would never be so crass! 

Wait what? 

A blush formed on his cheeks as his face turned scarlet. He turned away, silently scolding himself, 'Bold of you to think that there'll even be a wedding. You've only been together for thirteen years... which to be fair, is a long time. But that's still not nearly enough to already start planning a wedding! What is this? That smitten with Lan Xichen already?'

He backed up, hoping that no one would be able to the see the bright red flush that stained his face. Clearly he had no such luck because the second he moved, he bumped right into someone. 

"Oof," the man behind him gave a breathless grunt after Jiang Cheng's back had collided with his chest. 

Jiang Cheng's flush deepened, as he turned around to apologize. Looking up, he saw a pair of beautiful hazel eyes, staring at him intently. Jiang Cheng's mouth dropped open, as his eyes widened. Lan Xichen was always beautiful, but seeing him here with the sun draped against his back and the wind ruffling through his hair- Jiang Cheng felt his heartbeat quicken as he stared up at his lover in awe.