18

I pulled a bin of wooden blocks out of the bookshelf and set it in front of me. I was organizing the blocks by shape and size when a boy came over and sat down on the other side of the bin from me.

He reached across the bin and took a handful of blocks I had already organized. Then he put one in his mouth.

I didn't know the boy. I hardly knew anyone in the class. And since they were all too little to tell me their names, I didn't know what to even say to him.

I rolled my eyes and walked away from him, needing to be alone before I said or did something I would get in trouble for.

I went to the coloring supplies and picked up a book. I grabbed a few crayons from the mix before walking to the table and taking a seat.

The same boy that interrupted me just minutes before walked up to where I was. He was taller than me by several inches. He sat down beside me and took the crayon right from my hand. He started scribbling all over my picture, laughing as he did so.

I rolled my eyes and got up from the table. The boy didn't seem to notice me leave. I really hoped he wouldn't follow me because I really wasn't up for dealing with him a third time.

I knew Ms. Diane would help keep the boy away so I went to her side. She was getting lunch ready, starting to carry plates and bowls to the table.

"Hi, sweetie. What are you up to?" She looked down at me as she filled a large bowl with applesauce.

"I'm bored. Can I help with lunch?"

She smiled. "I'd love that. Can you put your bunny in your cubbie first?"

I walked over to my cubbie and set my bunny inside. I tucked him away behind my coat, making it impossible for anyone to see it. I didn't want someone messing with it like Alex did to my first one so many months before. It felt like a longer time than it actually was.

Ms. Diane bent down with the bowl of applesauce in her hand. "Can you put this on the table? Use both hands, Lyla."

I wanted to roll my eyes at her making me use two hands but when I took it from her, I realized why. I was far weaker than I had been and found that carrying just the simple bowl a few feet was more taxing than expected.

The boy that had ruined any chance of alone time came up to me yet again. Only this time, he stopped and watched as I carried the bowl. I was almost to the table when he stuck his hand inside. I tried jerking the bowl away but only caused it to spill all down my dress and onto my socks. The bowl fell to the floor and made a loud noise that caused everyone to turn and look in our direction.

Ms. Quinn, the other teacher in the classroom, walked over to the boy and knelt down beside him. She said something to him softly before guiding him to another part of the room.

Ms. Diane knelt down at my side and grabbed the bowl. "Lyla, go wait for me in the bathroom and I'll help get you cleaned up."

I walked to the bathroom with my head down, my throat starting to get tight. I didn't want to cry over something so stupid.

I kicked the small step stool over to the sink and stepped onto it. I pulled the pacifier from my dress and untied the knot so the clip was separated from the pacifier itself. I turned the water on and rinsed the applesauce off of it.

I glanced up at the mirror and paused, my fingers still holding the pacifier under the running tap. My hair was tucked behind my ears and behind my shoulders, thankfully not getting covered in any food. The dark circles I used to have under my eyes were gone. I still looked like myself but a less... mature version.