12

I sighed as I stared at my bunny in my lap. The hours couldn't pass fast enough and I got bored quickly. It felt like we had been there forever but I knew it wasn't even noon yet.

"Lyla, what is it?"

I looked over at Alex. He was watching me from behind his computer monitor, a pen stuck between two fingers.

"I'm bored. There's nothing for me to do here."

"I admit this place isn't very kid-friendly."

I rolled my eyes as I scoffed. "I'll say."

He leaned back in his chair, causing it to squeak. "I thought it might be too early but you can always go back to daycare."

I wasn't sure how I felt about the idea of going back to daycare so soon after my life dramatically changing. I'd gone from a 15-year-old girl trying to escape to a 2-year-old who could barely walk up the steps. Everything was so different that it felt daunting to try and go back to my old normal. As screwed up as that normal was.

"Think about it, Lyla. You won't be in the same classroom as before. Most of the kids will be little, like you, so they'll barely notice you being new. It's better than being here and distracting me from my work."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I've barely been a distraction at all."

He watched me, giving me a look that said I was full of crap. "Right."

"Are they going to treat me like a baby?"

He chuckled. "Lyla, you are a baby."

I rolled my eyes. "You know what I mean. I don't want to be... treated any differently."

"Well, they kind of have to. You're a lot smaller than you used to be and you need someone to help take care of you."

I stared down at my bunny on the cushion beside me. "That hasn't stopped everyone from doing everything for me. I can't even pee without someone checking my diaper."

"We're only trying to help you, you know."

"Your version of help isn't the same as my version."

He shook his head and went back to his computer. He typed something in then got to his feet.

I leaned back against the couch as he walked toward me, worried that I'd said something wrong and pissed him off. I liked making him mad but the last time I did, he turned me into a real baby. I wasn't about to take that chance again and risk something even worse.

He picked me up and carried me to his desk. He set me down in his chair and I saw a tv streaming service on his screen. I guess that was how he was occupied growing up so that's how he was going to occupy me.

"If I come back and find this room trashed, again, your tv privileges will be gone for good. Understand?"

"Where are you going?"

He headed for the door, pulling a set of keys from his pocket. "I need more coffee and you need something to eat. Maybe a bottle to help you fall asleep so I don't have to deal with your mouth."

I stuck my tongue out at him, earning a glare before he left the room.