3

The door opened and I looked up from the tray of food with heavy eyes. I was refusing to sleep or eat. I knew that Alex knew I was already pissed about the situation but I wanted to make it even more known. I wanted to inconvenience them and piss them off.

Alex stepped into the room and shut the door behind him. It locked with a soft click. Today, he was wearing a light blue dress shirt and a grey tie. He looked like someone who worked there and I wanted to hit him. I wanted to hurt him like he hurt me.

"Lyla, you need to eat."

"You need to let me go."

"You know we can't do that."

"Then I guess I can't eat."

He sighed and started walking toward me. I picked up the sandwich that was on the tray and threw it at him. The jelly hit his shirt and left a purple stain.

"Lyla, I'm trying to work with you here. I don't want you to be miserable."

"I've been miserable since the day I moved here."

He knelt down in front of me. I reached out of the sippy cup of milk, planning to twist the lid off and throw it at him, but he grabbed it first and pulled it far enough away that I couldn't reach it. "We're not asking that much of you. You have far more freedom than you think."

"Like what?"

"There's no expectations put on you. You're taken care of every second of the day. All of your needs are met. Everything you could want is given to you."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I want to leave and no one's letting me. So clearly, that isn't true."

He cleared his throat. "You're making this far more difficult than it needs to be."

"Screw you."

He stood and stepped around the food I'd thrown at him. "We're not the bad guys, Lyla."

This time, I did unscrew the lid from the sippy cup. I threw it at him, getting the back of his leg wet with milk. "Go to Hell."

He left without another word but I knew I'd pissed him off. I was glad I did. He deserved it after everything I'd been through.

---

Eventually, it became harder to fight sleep. My body was exhausted, my head hurt, and my stomach wouldn't stop growling. I was bored in the room with nothing to play with. I was lucky enough to have my bunny but it wasn't enough to entertain me.

Footsteps directly behind me woke me up. I laid still as clothes rustled and my heartbeat increased.

Something touched my arm and I screamed, rolling onto my back to see Alex kneeling by the bed I was on. He wore a dark outfit now, probably so he wouldn't get any food stains on his clothing.

"Lyla, I need you to come with me."

"Get away from me."

"I can tell you're bored in here. I can take you someplace better, someplace more interesting."

"I'm fine here."

He reached out and snatched bunny right from my arms, putting it behind his back so I couldn't reach it. "Let's go."

I whined and tugged on his arm. "Give it back."

"Not until you come with me. We have some things to discuss."

"I'm not going with you."

He stood and started walking toward the door with bunny in his hand. "Then say goodbye to your bunny."

I jumped to my feet and ran after him. It was just a stupid stuffed animal and I knew that yet I didn't want to part with it. My parents gave it to me and since I didn't know when I'd see them again, I didn't want to lose it. "Alex, give it back."

He pressed his thumb against the black pad beside the door and it buzzed before opening. "When we get where we're going, you can have it back."

I glared at his back as he started walking. I knew I didn't have much time before the door shut and I was stuck with my bunny.

I balled my hands into fists and followed him. "I hate you."

I really, really, really hated him.

---

If you haven't checked it out already, go give my story Forever Young a read. It's similar to this story and has the little aspects you all love. It was just completed so you have all 66 chapters to read!