/BADDER/

-EPISODE 2.

On the paths, some boys are playing football. It wouldn't do me much good to join them, I suppose. My uniform could get dirty. I move my head from the window.

Lucy-Ella turns ten tomorrow and I'm making her a card. Yup, there's no way I'm beating Mum this year, obviously.

Ella is obsessed with piano and classical music and that old people stuff and to be honest, it has rubbed off on me a little. Ella is pretty good on the keys.

My card will be rubbish in a week and Mum's piano will last forever—

"Roman!"
My crayon breaks. "Roman, are you even LISTENING?"

I creak my head right.
"No."

All I want is just this break time to be alone so I can finish this poster before I have to stay up for it. Unfortunately though, when you're me, everyone else is paparazzi. (Sighs famously).

She takes the seat opposite me, slamming her pencil case on the table.

"If I help you, can we talk after you're done?"

Her name is squiggled in felt on the pencil case: Ava Lewis.

I snatch it and inspect its contents, borrowing a ruler then passing it back.

"You shouldn't be here, you know," I start, using the ruler to sweep pencil shavings. "What will people think if they find both of us.. alone.. in a classroom?"

She scoffs, pulling out a yellow crayon.
"Nobody would kiss you, Roman."

.

.

She's joking.
She likes me.
I know she does.
I didn't even say anything about kissing.
I think sooner or later I may have to let her down easy...

(I glance at her. She's really trying her best to colour well.)

...Damn that's going to be really awkward.

Ava is one of the 'cool' people at Redwood, the elite. I've only known her since we moved, but in the months gone, she's proven to be a useful ally. In some sense though, I can't let my guard down with her.

"Why have you stopped colouring?" she asks, stopping too.
I pick the crayon — and get back to work.

Even if it's just a card, this is a pretty good card. Ella's hair in my drawing looks just like the real thing, falling over like her forehead is behind bars, cropped to 'schoolgirl length' all round; brown, pink, pianos, horses and Disney princesses - I fit it all. I think I'll even get a mirror and stick it on.

"How was your match?" she asks.

Damn it.

My boot.

I hope my shoes are still at the complex.

"Good." I respond. "Good. I scored."

She pauses her colouring to applaud, sarcastically.
"First time."

"Hmph."

"You deserved it after the drama in the dining hall."
That gets my attention. "Everyone knows it was about you," she adds.

"Should I be embarrassed?"

"No, not at all," she replies. "Alastair's a good friend... that was... cute." Then after a pause; "Before I forget, my mum told me to tell you to tell your mum she said hi."

I know I'm staring.

She smiles and drops her head. She dyed her hair this half and I think it looks good. The brown stems of her scalp stand out like horses in a dog pound, but bright yellow curls pitch the way to her ears as she gets back to colouring.