16• The Bet

*mentions of rape in this chapter*

Chapter 16 - The Bet

*POV~LUNA*

Thomas took the role in opening the door and I felt it instantly nauseous at the sight of several dead bodies lying lifeless on the floor as an annoying alarm filled the quietness.

We slowly manoeuvred past the rotten smelling people and entered a new room which has millions of shattered pieces of glass scattered on the floor like a carpet. Electrical sparks flew in every direction as technology I've never seen before surrounded us. There were computers in front of black leather chairs. There were people who I assumed were dead wearing lab coats on the floor while crimson blood covering different parts of their body. Overall it just wasn't a very pleasant sight.

On the computer screens there were images brain scans which made a shiver crawl down my aching spine as if a spider ran down my back.

I stood next to Newt and glanced over on of the weird screens and I didn't know what to think. Were the people wearing the lab coats the creators? Are we safe since they're dead?

'So they were watching us?' The blonde scoffed.

'Hello.' An unfamiliar voice spoke which made me jump out of my skin.

I swiftly turned my head to a screen which was now showing us a older women with blonde hair, pale skin and wearing all white.
Wait that's . .

'I'm Dr Ava Paige.' No fucking way.

'If you're watching this that means you've successfully completed the maze trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you but circumstances seem to have prevented it. I understand how you must all be very confused, especially you Miss Andrews but I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember but the sun has scorched our world. Billons of lives lost to fire but what came after was worse; we called it the flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain, incurable or so we thought. Suddenly there was reason to hope for a cure with a new generation but finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested even sacrificed in a harsh environment where their brain activity could be studied, all in an effort to find out why they're different; what makes you different. You may not realise it but you're very important, especially you Miss Andrews you are special but unfortunately your trails have only just begun and as you can see some people don't agree with out methods. It may be too late for us, for me but not for you. The outside world awaits and remember . . . WICKED is good.' Were the words she said before grabbing a gun from her desk and shooting her self.

Me and Chuck had to look away at the sight but the others watched in disbelief. What did she mean the trails have only just begun? How am I special? Will we die from the flare?