Chapter 26: The One Where the Killer Gets Away

Start from the beginning

Connor shakes his head. "No. We can handle it." He looks down and smiles at me.

I smile back. "Yeah, we can."

The taxi stops and the door slowly opens to reveal Aidan Harrell's house. Connor and I step out and walk to the front door. I stand slightly behind him, grabbing a fist full of his shirt in one hand. Connor looks down and gives me a reassuring smile, sensing that I'm nervous. He then rings the doorbell and we wait. Every second we wait the more nervous I get.

The door finally opens, revealing Aidan Harrell, a scrawny middle-aged man with blond hair and green eyes. He looks at us and gives us a soft smile.

"Hi. My name is—" Connor starts.

"Connor." Aidan finishes and then he looks down at me. "And you're (Y/n)."

"You know us?" I ask.

He chuckles. "Of course. Who doesn't know you two? You're the ones who took part in the android revolution and helped androids gain their freedom. It was all over the news."

"Oh. Right."

Aidan opens his door wider, inviting us in. "Come in. I don't want to be rude and have you guys stand out there."

I shake my head. "No we're good right here," I say.

"But I insist. I have the kettle on right now. I can make you some tea if you like." Aidan offers.

I look up at Connor and he nods. "Alright." He agrees.

The two of us step inside and Aidan leads us to his living room where we sit on the couches.

"I'll be right back," Aidan tells us and then disappears.

As soon as he's gone I slap Connor's arm.

"I don't like this at all!" I whisper-yell at him. "We are in the house of a serial killer!"

"I know. We're just stalling until the others can arrive and maybe see what new information we can learn." Connor says and stands up, looking around the tidied living room.

I get up too and start looking around. I spot a photo faced down on the fireplace and I pick it up.

"Hey Connor," I call him over without looking away.

Connor comes over and bends down on one knee to my height. He looks over my shoulder to look at the photo. It's of Aidan and a woman and they seem... happy.

"That's Susie," Aidan says from behind us.

"Ah!" I jump, dropping the photo in my hands but Connor manages to catch it before it hits the ground.

"Susie?" Connor questions, turning to look at him.

Aidan nods. "She was my wife."

"Oh," Connor says, looking down and putting the photo back the way it was. "I'm sorry."

"What happened to her?" I ask.

Aidan's grip on the tray tightens and it starts to shake in his hands. I can tell I hit a sensitive spot.

Connor seems to notice too and decides to change the subject.

"You need help with the tea?" Connor asks and stands up, taking the tray from Aidan and setting it on the coffee table.

I sit back on the couch as Connor makes Aidan and I tea before he settles sitting next to me. Connor hands me my cup and I take it, looking up at him.

"I made sure it wasn't poisoned." He whispers to me.

I nod and blow on the drink before taking a small sip. Aidan does the same before speaking.