Chapter 3

I gasped as I took in my attire. I was badly wounded, my t-shirt half torn and so was my jeans. Hair disheveled,  scratches and bruises spilling my blood on the tiny grasses around me.  The frightening thing for me was when my eyes settled on my eyes in the dragon’s pale blue ones staring right through me.

They taught me to not look at my eyes, and I evaded it ever since I was a child. But.... but now as if I was drowning into my own eyes. The blue light circling us lightly lifted me and I couldn’t help it as I continued peering into my eyes. I observed as a giant creature kept prying at me. Its eyes, a mixture of gold and flaming. Horns rested above its forehead as it took tentative steps towards me. Its wings flapped so delicately but carried the strength to wipe the plants and dirt miles away from it.

I noticed my reflection staring at it. I wanted to know more about it, but, Perspiration started crawling down my forehead as I felt an immeasurable strain in my abdomen and my lower back. Too dreadful to even be capable of standing. The scar burnt rigorously as if someone carving my body with a hot dagger. The blue dragon whined, looking at me. I caressed its nose, but the pain was extremely fierce and I watched as the luminous blue light changed into a silvery one and soon darkness was all I could see.

I wanted to scream but felt as if someone choked my throat. I felt a tug on my right shoulder but did not have ample potential to glance at the person. As if I was being drawn away by the wind, my body appeared so weak. The burn slowly subdued that granted me sufficient energy to study the worried dragon. 

Slowly opening my eyes, I blinked twice as the tears blurred my vision. Finally, as I could get a clear look at the dragon, I could see only walls surrounding me. “He is gone,” I thought in my mind, disappointment creased my forehead. The dragon left me alone, conflicting with so many questions surging into my head. The blue light, the peaceful atmosphere as if I knew that dragon, everything faded. Slowly wiping the tears away from my face, I observed Ammie looking at me worriedly. I looked away to evade her gaze as she abandoned me, but found my aunt staring at me too. 

“What are you staring at?” I asked. My voice raspy due to lack of water. I could feel the pain in my abdomen and the scar manageable. 

“You… You look different.” Ammie said, and I furrowed my eyebrows. “Can someone please give me a glass of water?” I pleaded as my throat burnt due to lack of moisture. They should know by now that they upset me. Looking around, I realized I was still in the horrible dungeon. That snake queen, long gone but the stench of blood made me want to gag. 

“You need rest. Your mark needs to heal and so do you.” Aunt replied and handed me a bottle of water from her bag. Ammie still stared at me as if I was a stranger. It stung in my heart when I recognized she looked at me as if I was not her sister anymore. 

“Careful,” Aunt added as I gingerly tried to stand, but staggered a little because my limbs were numb. Too uncomfortable to walk, I placed my hands on the adjacent wall, but that felt sticky and I retrieved my hands from it. Taking a deep sigh, I closed my eyes and mustered some courage to walk out of the dungeon. As I stood up, I felt a hand gripping my shoulder, instantly letting my body feel a little lighter. Ammie smiled at me and put my left hand behind her neck to hold me even better. I couldn’t help but grin as my knight in shining armor was still my knight in shining armor. 

*****†*****†******†******

“....did not know-“ “Naina, you listening???” I bolted at the abrupt high-pitched voice entering my ears. “Huh?” That was all I could reply. Ammie glared at me, and I slumped a little backward.

“You weren’t listening, were you?” She asked, and I shrugged. For the nth time, she kept apologizing for leaving me alone with the Snake Queen, Aka Utkarsha, asserting that they meant the ritual to be conducted alone with no outsider.  

“Why are we cursed?” I inquired, abruptly interrupting her, mid-conversation as I recalled the horrid pain that I felt when she pierced her nails into my skin.

“Do you think owning a superpower is a curse? I accept it as a gift even if they cursed us.” She avoided my question. I glowered at her and she groaned.

“Mom said that it has something to do with one of our ancestors falling in love with someone he shouldn’t have, that, in turn, got us all in trouble.” Her smile was too weak as if she was unhappy about something. Before I could pry any further, I chilled. I saw visions of her dancing with a guy, pleasure so apparent in her face. 

Soon, sadness took over my face when I realized I can’t even ask her who he is. As if noticing my sudden mood drop, she raised her eyebrows and stopped coloring her nails. “What is it? Why are you acting so strange after your marking?” It would be for the millionth time she asked me the question.

Why do I feel less attached to you?” “Why do I feel powerless around you?” And many more. I did not know the answer myself. What even did she expect?

“I’m... I’m not. It’s just that too much happened in a short time. I couldn’t get anything. And the dragon, h-“

“Dragon?” She looked confused. Shouldn’t she know what happens that day? Didn’t she see the dragon? I opened my mouth to question her, but through my peripheral vision, I noticed my aunt entering my room.

“Naina, can I have a word with you?” Her eyes didn’t look at me but at Ammie. Surprised, I nodded, not sure whether she saw me nodding. “Sure” I whispered. It’s always like this. My voice gets lost somewhere when I am with my aunt. 

“I will be back in a minute,” I said to Ammie, who caught another nail polish I threw at her before tailing behind Aunt.

****+****

🌟I would really appreciate it if you show some love and support by hitting the star button below. Feel free to suggest anything if you'd want. I'd be glad to hear!🌟

Lots of Love❤️

❤Lots of Love❤️