Dark Luxemburg x Reader II /Illusion/

Start from the beginning

There he is, just standing a few metres to your left.

"Lynn!", you whisper-yell at the man, causing him to instinctively snap his head upward to stare at you. A relieve smile spreads on his lips when he recognizes you, one that also holds equal amounts of sorrow and jadedness. After all, he has been through a lot, all caused by his spite and jealousy.

Quickly, he glances left and right to ensure that there aren't any witnesses to your little stunt.

"(Y/n)! Is the coast clear on your side as well?", he inquires.

A warranted check, and therefore you take your time to survey the land beyond the wall, searching for any stray figure hiding in the rolling mist. The only things there that even remotely resemble a human being are a few gnarled trees. You look behind you, at the perfectly tended vegetation of the garden and at the manor in the distanced you've been forced to call home for the last couple of years. This is the last time you'll be gazing upon it. Now that you stand on the cusp of freedom, you already know that you'll never be coming near it again. Now the sight of it fills you with gratitude, a strange sense of joy that you'll finally be leaving your demons behind you.

"Clear!", you affirm and glance down again. Your accomplice is now standing directly below you, arms outstretched.

"Jump!", he demands. "Don't worry. I'll catch you."

Sceptically, you eye him. It is a good three metre jump from where you are perched, and the prospect of him failing and you breaking a few bones is definitely unappealing. It scares you immensely.

Upon seeing your doubting expression, he coaxes you: "It will be faster and less exhausting than climbing down." That is all the further persuasion you need. The two of you are running out of time, your every moment that you are absent from your bed is a moment where your absence can by discovered and your beloved spouse can start hunting for you.

Furthermore, you are already trembling from the strain of scaling the wall. Taking a deep breath, you tell him: "Lynn Thorn, you are a hopeless romantic."

Without further ado, you bravely push off. The fabric of your dress flutters in the wind and when you safely land in his arms you gasp in surprise. Your long-time friend grins at you and counters:

"Maybe I am. And what would that make you?"

You stifle a laugh that wants to bubble over your lips. Ever since you were children, he has always had far more cheek than is appropriate. Maybe that is why he is so appealing to you. Giddily you smile at him and gently pat his cheek.

"According to all those cheesy stories – a victim of fate. Tied by tragedy, only to have a brave-hearted saviour to cure me of my misery."

At that, his expression hardens, and he carefully settles down. For a moment, your joy over the situation also evaporates as you realise which memories you've stirred up. He also claimed that you were his by fate and didn't shy away from telling that to everybody he saw as a threat. And Nicolas had always seen Lynn as a threat. Hehe

Something that has become a self-fulfilled prophecy now. Not that you can sympathise with your supposed better half.

The two of you head a little way into a thinned-out patch of the woods, where an unsuspicious cart waits, with a strong pony harnessed to it. While you approach it, you both remain silent. It is like a spell, and if you speak it shall be broken and everything will be ruined. It is also close to an oppressive silence, the both of you mulling over the whole situation in your heads. Wordlessly, he helps you onto the cart and you manage to bring yourself to smile. That manages to coax a smile out of him as well and he charmingly say when he hops on his mount: