Chapter 1

The white car comes to a stop in Crystal Wood High's parking lot. Kiara Starling exits from the copilot seat while one of her best friends, Jessy, climbs out from the left side of her car. Like every day of the week, they arrive a few minutes early to avoid Los Angeles traffic and get a good place under the shade of trees near the school entrance.

Jessy makes her way to the school's doors. Her red hair, fair skin and bigger than life personality are a beacon in the crowd. But Kiara stays besides the car as the back of her head tingles. Her instincts tell her that someone is staring at her, watching her.

Her dark blue eyes scan the place.

Crystal Wood High is a medium size high school, known for its champion of the state football team and cheerleading squad, for having the most effective Student Council in the area, and of course for its school mascot, Grizzly.

The parking lot is already half full. Some students walk alone towards the entrance, others walk in groups of friends and few stay outside to chat before the bell rings. Most have their phones in their hands either texting, posting photos or simply holding it. A few students wave when they see Kiara while others give her a small nod.

Then, the feeling vanishes.

This is not the first time it has happened. It began a few months ago, and she still hasn't figured out where it comes from or who it is. It comes at random when she is in public areas, but as soon as she starts looking around, it stops. She mentioned it a few times to her friends, but they did not seem concerned.

Jessy calls her, breaking Kiara's concentration. She makes a note in her phone of the date and the place, not quite ready to dismiss the feeling. Maybe there is a pattern she hasn't seen yet. But this is neither the place nor the time to delve into it. She pushes her concern to the back of her mind and catches up to Jessy.

As soon as Kiara enters through the doors, she sees the walls covered with banners supporting the school's swimming and math team but most of them encourage the school's football team. Students all around her are using the school's colors and the cheerleaders are preparing their peers for tomorrow's game.

She walks to her locker and many students wish her happy birthday as she passes by. Her position as vice-president in the Student Council makes her fairly popular in school. Although what matters to her is that every student knows they can reach out to her if they ever need help. That's why she is part of the Council in the first place.

She takes out the books for her next class and shuts the door of her locker. She stops and mentally counts down from 5. When she reaches cero her two remaining friends squash her in a bear hug.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!" Sydney and Zoey shout as they jump around her.

"Ah! My ears are bleeding!" Kiara says earning a light punch on the arm from Zoey and a light push from Sydney for her joke. She laughs at their reaction and thanks them for their well wishes.

While Zoey does not care about the latest fashion trends or what anyone else thinks of her, Sydney is the opposite. But somehow, they are as thick as thieves. Zoey has amazing blond curls and Sydney has light brown wavy hair like Kiara's, in part due to them being cousins.

"We have something for you!" Sydney says in a singsong voice as she gives Kiara a little blue box with a white bow.

"You didn't have to." Kiara says as warmth fills her.

"Of course, we had to!" Jessy says excitedly. "Now open it!"

Inside the box she finds a beautiful set of golden and silver metal hairpins and a pair of earrings. She exchanges her earrings with the new ones and takes apart her half-up hairstyle to replace her normal black hairpins with two silver ones. 

"They're beautiful!" Kiara hugs each one of her friends.

The warning bell sounds, signaling that classes are going to start in five minutes. Kiara says goodbye to Sydney and Jessy, following Zoey to their first class of the day, Math. Just thinking about it makes her cringe. Normally she would not complain about it, but she hates that it is the first class on Fridays.

As she nears her classroom, someone rudely bumps into her. When she turns, she sees Sasha McGreevy walking away as if nothing. The long silky black hair and cooper skin head cheerleader only glances back once glaring and curling her lip at Kiara. Before she can muster a comeback, Sasha is already lost in the crowd.

Zoey rolls her eyes as they enter and sit in their usual places: at the left side of the room, beside the window. "Seriously, what is her deal? I swear she goes out of her way to do that."

"I have no idea and honestly, I don't care." Kiara says nonchalantly to her friend. Although that doesn't stop her from pressing her lips in a tight line and her stomach from dropping.

Sasha used to be her best friend in middle school along with Jessy and Sydney. The four of them did everything together, until freshman year when Sasha started distancing herself. Kiara worried about this confronted her about, but things didn't go as planned. They argued, saying horrible things to each other and their friendship ended. Sasha soon joined the cheerleading team and became an entitled and mean girl. Now, when she crosses paths with Kiara, it comes with glares and unfriendly bumps. Jessy and Ney receive a slightly less aggressive treatment.

Kiara shakes her disappointment and sits down as Mr. Johnson enters the classroom. He shuts the door close, signaling that a very long and esoteric class is about to begin. She grunts with everyone else, but nevertheless pays attention. Fortunately for her, the rest of the day passes quickly and soon she finds herself walking with Anne to the Student Council meeting held in the art class.

"Don't remind me." Anne complains. "I don't want to think about all that has to be done."

They had been doing a list of all the things the Council had to discuss and as soon as Kiara mentions the Prom Dance, she gets that reaction out of Anne.

"You can't evade the subject any longer Anne." Kiara says. "The Prom Dance is in 2 months and you have next to nothing planned out. All the seniors are counting on you."

"I know, I know." Anne admits. "But I can't do it all on my own! I'm the only senior in the Student body! There are usually four or five."

"None of the seniors are willing to help?" Kiara asks. Her eyebrows furrow.

"Yeah no. Seems like everyone is suddenly hella busy with other stuff" Anne says and runs her hands through her hair leaving it disheveled.

"Well...um...oh! How about this..." Kiara says grabbing Anne's arm and forcing them to stop. "We talk with the other members and convince them to help out. That way you won't have to do it alone and in exchange you can help us plan next year's Welcome Back Week."

Anne stays silent for a few seconds, thinking about her proposal. "Alright, that sounds like a good idea."

"But you'll probably have to do most of the job. We can offer ideas and help you contact suppliers, but I don't think the rest will agree to something more." Kiara warns.

"That would be perfect." Anne says, a smile finally appearing. "I could guilt trip some seniors to help decorate. After all, it is their prom and I know many are excited for it." She pauses to think and then hugs Kiara. "This could work. Thank you! You're a lifesaver."

"No problem." Kiara smiles and hugs her back.

Suddenly, they hear some angry shouts and then a big crash