Chapter 29 - Talamayas

Start from the beginning

"He's been doing that to everything with a dick. It's not you," Silvia said, amusement shining in her navy eyes as she ran a hair through her mussed waves of short hair. "This has him a bit off his hinges." Silvia rested her hand on her stomach, and the loose top shaped a gentle swell in her stomach.

"You are with child?" Tala said with a little too much disbelief because Neil whitened further. "I see. That is quite taxing. There hasn't been a dhampir on record for centuries, at least not one that has..." Tala ceased his thought as he met Neil's harrowed eyes.

It was best not to say that dhampirs rarely made it past infancy. Dhampirs, though half vampire, as a species were quite delicate, needing the calm and caring energy of both the mother and father to survive. With the divide between peoples, most children lacked a parent, and a surrogate wasn't enough in the early stages of life.

"With you as parents, your child will be healthy and happy, I'm sure," Tala said, a smile lifting his lips at the thought of a tiny Neil or Silvia. Combining them would make for one hell of a stubborn but exceedingly gentle creature. "I will be happy to help with anything you need, Neil."

"If only you could smother these parental urges." Neil growled, running both hands through his long silver hair. "I can barely look at Damien without wanting to stuff Silvia in a closet."

Tala laughed, and it only elevated Neil's growl, but he couldn't help it. Everyone was growing, changing, and starting families. The pains of fatherhood were a welcome worry compared to the bloodshed and fear of the months before. Everything was settling down nicely, and it was a good world to bring a child into, one where mages and vampires might be able to love their mixed blood.

"What did you want?" Neil asked impatiently, eyeing Silvia as if he she needed to be tucked behind the same tapestry Neil wanted to dress him in.

"It is not as magnanimous as your having a child, but I am holding a small ceremony for my mate. I have formally taken a soul bound, and we are saying our vows in a place of meaning." Tala's words had Neil tilting his head and squinting his eyes. The man was trying to figure out just who he'd tied himself to, and by the looks of it, having no luck.

"What's a soul bound?" Silvia asked, leaning into Neil and pressing the side of her face on his hair.

"It's a male mate," Neil said, lifting a hand to his chin to rack his brain further.

"Oh!" Silvia's smile spread clear across her face before she turned to Tala with a mischievous gleam in her eye. "You and Wren finally get over yourselves?" Silvia taunted with a chuckle, leaning into elbow Tala's side.

"Silvi, that's not funny," Neil said with a scowl, drawing her back with his fingers wrapped on an arm.

Reluctantly, she returned to Neil's side but slipped a hand to her hip. "Really?" Who else would tolerate Talamayas for a lifetime?"

"That's just..." Neil rolled his eyes into a grimace.

"You really think Tala is capable of focusing on another guy?" Silvia prodded, poking Neil's crossed arms.

As it all processed, Neil lifted his gaze to him. "That sort of union would have to be approved by the council, and Wren is notoriously dangerous. That allowance would not be without a cost," Neil focused on Tala with concern, but Tala's smile eased the crease in brow.

"You are correct. The council agreed to our union at the cost of Wren's chain magic. Nicholas sealed it, and they required Wren to undergo all the rituals associated with becoming a soul bound."

"I see." Neil narrowed his eyes on him and then let out a slow sigh. "Well if you make each other happy, I can't object. Though it does make me question your definition of happiness."