Chapter 10: The Secret

BONUS CHAPTER - Jason POV

The conversation with Annabeth really had me thinking. I cannot believe that I never realized that Percy would skip school at the same time every month. The fact that Annabeth realized it after only a month of actually knowing Percy while I was still in the dark made me feel like a bad friend.

"So, Jason, do you think that Grover knows what's up?" Thalia asked as we ate dinner.

"Yeah, he probably knows what's going on with Percy if something is going on," I said casually.

"Then, that settles it."

"Settles what?" I asked in confusion. My sister was wearing a determined expression on her face. When Thalia put her mind to something, it was hard to convince her otherwise.

"Jason, can you please keep up? We're both curious about why Percy ditches school every month, and so we're going to figure it out."

"Oh my god, Thalia. One, this isn't any of our business. And two, it's possible that nothing is going on."

It seemed like a bad idea to intrude into Percy's life despite our foolhardy curiosity.

"Jason, aren't you curious? While I don't know why, Percy is one of your best friends."

"Well, yeah, but-"

I was interrupted by Thalia's loud and obnoxious ringtone. Annabeth's caller ID showed up on her facetime screen. Thalia quickly snatched the phone and answered it.

"Hey, Annie!"

"Thalia, how many times have I told you not to call me Annie?" Annabeth said into the phone.

"Whatever, anyway, what's up?"

"Actually, I called to ask Jason something," Annabeth said. I was curious now about why she wanted to talk to me.

"Well, he's right here, Annabeth. What's going on?" Thalia asked as she positioned the phone in front of us.

"Hey, Annabeth," I said politely.

"Hey, Jason. So, I found out something today that I guess caught me off guard. Jason, did you know that Percy volunteers at the Children's Hospital?"

That was definitely new news to me. Thalia practically did a spit take as she looked at Annabeth in shock. Then, she turned towards me as they both awaited my answer.

"No, Annabeth, I had no idea."

Volunteering in the medical community was actually a very noble thing, but he never mentioned it to anybody.

Annabeth and Thalia talked for a few more minutes before Annabeth hung up. It was strange that Percy had never mentioned his volunteering in the past two years that I had known him. Thalia turned to me yet again with the same determination.

"Jason, I know that you think we shouldn't intrude, but I'm curious about Percy. Also, I'm concerned about Annabeth because Percy and she are getting closer."

"Thalia, Percy is a good guy. He's not like that. You always make him out as a monster for some reason. All he does is date a lot of girls, but he never cheats or manipulates."

"I am getting to know that, Jason, but this is my best friend. If something weird is happening, I am going to find out, and you're going to help," Thalia said firmly.

I sighed before replying with an "All right."

***

"Grover, open up," Thalia shouted as she pounded on the door.