He heard a scream again, causing him to look around. As he looked in front of him, Hvitserk suddenly gasped and jumped in fright. He looked up, his eyes widening in horror at the sight of Freya standing there.

She looked pale and bruises covered her neck, along with the black eye she seemed to have.

Hvitserk began to cry, forcing himself to stand up and slowly back away as Freya moved toward him. "Freya!" He exclaimed, crying as he reached his hand toward her, "Freya, my love..."

His hand shook as he reached toward her and finally, as he pulled his hand away, she disappeared. He looked around, finding her nowhere in sight. He sighed, looking downwards in shame as he began to cry.

Of course, Freya wasn't there. She was dead.

____

At Lagertha's farm, Gyda was outside tending to the farm animals when she turned, frowning when she saw a large group of women moving toward them.

It wasn't long before Lagertha joined her, the two of them walking over to the women who smiled in delight at the sight of Lagertha.

"Are you Lagertha?" One of the women asked, her eyes lighting up at the sight of the woman.

"Yes," Lagertha answered, smiling at all of the women, "Are you all from this village?"

"Not all of us," A second woman replied, "Some of us live in another village about fifteen rosts away. But we all wanted to come and see if the rumors were true."

"Where are your menfolk?" Lagertha asked with a small smile on her face.

"Most of us are widows. We lost our men, our husbands, and older sons in storms and battles. Now, we have to raise our children alone. Life is hard," Another woman admitted, causing Gyda to give them a sympathetic look.

"I understand," Lagertha answered calmly, giving them a saddened look, "But perhaps it would be better if I share it with you all."

One of the women smiled, kneeling before Lagertha. She grabbed Lagertha's hand, pressing a kiss to it.

Gyda watched the scene for a moment, beginning to smile. She watched as Lagertha knelt in front of the woman, smiling as she placed a hand on the side of the woman's face.

_____

In Kattegat, after being told by her son's lover, Amma, that Hvitserk was in the Great Hall and not in his right mind, Ylva and Gunnhild decided to go check up on the son of Ragnar.

She walked over to Hvitserk, finding him sitting in front of the fire. He seemed to be shaking as he was in the middle of downing his cup of mead in one gulp.

"Hvitserk," Ylva called out, sighing at the sight of him, "Hvitserk, it hurts me. It hurts all of us to see you like this."

"I walk between the places. I see the place where my mother was struck down," Hvitserk admitted, causing Ylva to sigh as she watched Gunnhild walk over to him and place a hand on his shoulder, "When I am here, all I can see think about is how Freya could have died in this here spot, or anywhere in this hall at the hands of Ivar. My child was born here, too, and yet I never even had the chance to meet him before he, too, was killed."