11: Dean and The Big Bad Wolf

Start from the beginning

It was Dr. Garrison, speaking to a comatose young woman with dark hair and pale skin. Callie.

And what was the book that he was reading from? The Grimm Fairytales.

As soon as they walked in, Dr. Garrison looked up and shut the book with a cough. "Detectives," he acknowledged. "Can I help you?"

"We just heard Callie was your daughter," Dean started.

"And we wanted to say how very sorry we are," Sam added.

Dr. Garrison nodded, looking between the three with wary eyes. "Well, thank you." He paused for a second, before heading out the door. "If you'll excuse me-"

"Oh, we're actually headed this way, too!" Persie clambered cheerfully. "We'll walk with you."

Dean looked at him curiously as they walked down the hall. "How long has Callie been like that?"

Persie smacked his arm, giving him a scalding look.

Sam tried to mend the situation, "W-We don't mean to intrude. We can't possibly understand how hard it must be for you to see her like this."

The doctor just sighed. "Yeah, it's not easy." Another sigh. "She's-uh, been here since she was eight-years-old."

"That's when she was poisoned?"

"Yeah, she-uh, swallowed bleach." He looked upward, pursing his lips. "Can't still figure out how she got her hands on the bottle. My wife found her, and brought her here to the ER when I was on call."

"You're wife... uh, was that Callie's stepmother?" Dean asked.

Dr. Garrison paused in his steps. "Actually, yes. How'd you know that?"

Immediately recognizing the defense in the doctor's tone, Dean shrugged. "Lucky guess."

He nodded slowly. "Well, Julie was the only mother that Callie ever knew. My wife passed away last year... it's just Callie and me, now."

Persie couldn't hide her wince.

"She's all I got left."

The brothers shared a look, and Persie bit her lip. She knew that they were all they had left, and she hoped someday she could be added into the mix.

"Um, excuse me, I've gotta get back to work," Dr. Garrison interrupted, before heading off.

"Yeah," Dean said, and they watched as he walked off.

Persie looked up to the two Winchesters. "We've gotta do something. You heard what he was reading-"

Sam looked at her knowingly. "Yeah, we do."

.

.

.

.

They walked away from the ward and into the general ER where they knew Dr. Garrison was headed, still trying to figure out just what they were going to do, or say.

"Well, you're right, Sam," Dean admitted. "It's Snow White in spades."

"Yep," Sam agreed. "Stepmom poisons the girl, puts her into a deep sleep. What's the motive you think?"

"Could be like Mischa Barton," Dean supplied, "Sixth Sense, not the O.C."

Persie blinked. "Uh..."

He rolled his eyes. "Hey, the two of you seem to know fairytales, I know movies. She played the pasty ghost? You know the, uh, remember the mom that had the thing, you know, where you keep the kid sick so you get all the attention?"