Chapter 6

Chapter 6: The girl that cried duck

Kiera's POV:

"Kiera, are you up?" 

My father loud voice yelling from downstair reaches my ears. I grumble incoherent words in reply, before finally comprehending it's the morning.

Today is the day. My first day at a new school.

I feel a pool of nerves already hit my stomach and I groan. I did not miss this feeling. Without wasting anymore time, I quickly go to the bathroom to make myself presentable.

This day could go incredibly well for me or be a complete disaster. 

Once I'm fully dressed, I make my way downstairs and notice the large stack of boxes placed at the side of the room, reminding me of how busy I'm going to be after school.

When I step into the kitchen, I find my dad buttering his toast lazily while wearing his sunglasses.

"You want some, kiddo?" he asks as he hears my footsteps approaching.

"Nope, I'm having cereal," I reply, pulling open the top cupboards. 

I still don't know where everything is in this house or where my dad has put everything. I open and close many cupboards in quest of the cereal but come up empty-handed.

"Where did you put them?" I ask while scanning my eyes around.

He looks up from the counter. "Up my arse," he replies with his mouth full of toast. I shoot him one of my looks and he starts to laugh. My dad has a very unique sense of humour.

Soon his laughter turns into coughing, making me let out a hearty laugh in return.

"Aren't you funny," I tease sarcastically when he calms down a little.

"Someone has to make the jokes around here or we'd all turn into you, an 80 year old man," he shoots back with a grin.

The disrespect.

My dad is convinced that he is a comedian, and he can often act like a teenager. He's definitely one of those rare parents that are very chilled back. That has it's advantages, but it does mean that certain conversations can be difficult to have with him. Despite that, he is still a very good parent that is always by my side.

I blink at him. "I'm always funny," I defend. "It's just right now I'm tired, so where's the cereal?"

"Bottom shelf to the right," he mumbles finally.

After retrieving it and the milk, I sit opposite my dad on the kitchen island. 

"Did you have fun with Camille yesterday? You came back a little late."

I stare at the bowl in front of me. "It was alright. I wanted to leave sooner, but things got a little complicated. All fine though,

To stop my father from getting concerned, I keep the full details of yesterday night hidden. I don't want to replay it either. It's better that he doesn't know so Aunt Julie doesn't find out. More family drama is the last thing I need.

"Do you have work today?" I change the subject.

"I start work in few days, not yet." He gulps down his milk and sighs after wiping the back of his hand over his mouth. "Do you want me to drop you off today or do you want to walk it?"

"I'll walk it."

My stomach feels like it's wrapped in a not. It's not anything unusual, but I tend to always get these unsettling nerves whenever I have to go to school. Walking and listening to music usually help to get rid of it. Anxiety can really be a bitch sometimes.