Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Divers Diner with Chameleon.

Kiera's POV:

"I know a diner that's pretty popular! But it's close to school so it'll be a 20 minute walk. Is that cool with you?" Camille asks as we slowly make our way down the pavement, side by side.

"It's fine. I don't mind walking," I mumble, stuffing my hands into my jacket and scanning the unfamiliar surroundings.

One by one cars flash by us in a smooth motion, gliding through the warm wind. I can hear the low ruffles from the trees above us dancing along to one another. I let out a soft sigh, feeling content with the cool Spring breeze caressing my skin. 

It's quite amazing being at a place where the sun actually does what it's supposed to, and is not there for decoration like in England.

I pull out my phone reading the time at 8 p.m and stuff it back into my pockets. I always feel guilty glancing at my phone whenever I'm in someone's company, so I make sure to do it quickly.

Thought, considering our previous conversation, I'm not sure she completely deserves it.

Our walk to the diner is less painful than I envisioned it to be. There is small talk here and there about High school, friends and such. At least there is something to fill in the silence. We have managed to move past the previous awkwardness, but the conversation still feels robotic and unnatural at parts. I'm worried we'll run out of things to say.

I've always been perfectly able to walk in silence with someone. I'm just not sure if I can with her.

Halfway through the walk, Camille gets a phone call. At first she declines it, but when it rings for the fourth time, I insist she just answer. I, again, couldn't care less.

She tries to argue against it but it's obvious she wants to. Her finger keeps hovering over the answer button and she perks up each time it rings. 

I actually relieved someone has called her because, in my mind, we can't run out of small talk if we don't use it up now.

I try not to listen into the conversation, but it's loud enough for me to catch that the word "babe" is being tossed around. It isn't exactly a chat that I want to hear.

A few minutes later, I even heard the guy at the other end of the phone say something about seeing a cute dog and having it remind him of Cami. She starts blushing a deep red colour and  lets out a loud giggle.

I remember thinking, She does realise that he basically said that she reminds him of a bitch, right?

The conversation goes on for what felt like hours.

Eventually, I take the headphones that are still wrapped around my neck and put them on my ears, drowning out their voices. I play some music and get lost in the sweet melody around me instead. It doesn't seem like she'll be ending the phone call any time soon.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Finally, we arrive at the diner and I rest the headphones back down. I tuck my hands underneath my neck to pull out my black hair that got trapped, and sprawl it over my shoulders. I then turn towards Camille who reluctantly ends the call and places her phone back into her purse.

"This is Divers Diner. Everyone from school normally comes here," she says, grabbing my arm to lead us inside.

I've never been to an American diner so I take the time to review it's appearance. It has a glowing neon sign placed out front and the red, white and black colour scheme. It's also in a less isolated area. There are many shops nearby, including a coffee shop and a small bookstore.