Back into the Maze

Ali trailed behind the others as they descended a long dark staircase lined with boobytraps and skeletons. She tried to focus on the back of Annabeth's head instead of her surroundings, but it was difficult when the stairs were uneven and crumbling in places. When they finally reached the bottom of the stairs, an ominous tunnel stretched on before them, branching three ways not too far ahead.

Without hesitation, Rachel led them down the middle corridor - the darkest one. She told them she was following a faint glowing path on the floor of the Labyrinth.

If Ali hadn't spent the majority of her life fleeing, fighting, and chasing unbelievable things, she would've thought Rachel was crazy. Thankfully for the frizzy-haired red-headed mortal, Ali had been to the Underworld and back, twice; she'd seen the Realm of Dreams; and she'd faced countless monsters. Following a mortal through an endless maze with no idea whether she knew where she was going or not was nothing.

Ali stuck close to Annabeth, trying not to make things awkward as she walked between her and Percy. She didn't want to get lost, but after the last couple days they'd had... she didn't want to play with his emotions anymore. She'd come along to protect him. That's it. She kept repeating the words as they trudged onward. She could feel the warmth of his body as he walked next to her.

Suddenly, Rachel stopped.

Cutting off their path was a massive Laistrygonian giant. He held a club as big as a horse as he glowered down at the four teenagers. "What's this?" His voice was deep and gravelly. "Some good luck at last."

Something hissed behind them. Two dracanae emerged from the shadows, their serpentine legs writhing and tensing as they walked.

Ali gripped the hilts of her swords, which she'd strapped to her waist. Her enemies were too close to use a bow.

"Oh, there'sss no need for that." One of the snake women hissed, brandishing a sword of her own. "We don't mean to hurt you."

The second dracanae smirked. "At leassst not yet."

The giant pounded the ground with his club, cracking the floor directly in front of Rachel.

"Patienccce." The first dracanae chided. "We have our ordersss. We mussst bring them to him."

The giant huffed, but placed his club on his shoulder and glared at Ali and the others. "Move."

Ali tensed, ready to fight, but Percy grabbed her wrist. She met his gaze, the angry fire in her eyes faltering as he shook his head. Sighing, she released her blades and followed the dracanae down the dark tunnel.
* * *
Ali glared back at the dracanae as she jabbed the tip of her sword into Ali's back. "Is that really necessary?"

"Why?" The snake woman had a nasally tenor voice that reminded Ali of fingernails on a chalkboard. "Uncomfortable?"

The other dracanae turned on her and gripped her chin in her scaly hands. "Oh, do be quiet." Her voice was raspier than her sister's. "I'm trying to relish thisss victory. He will be quite pleasssed to sssee we've caught you, Aliana Breck."

"You're right." Ali conceded, catching the snake woman off guard. "Let's hurry this up. There's a certain Son of Hermes I can't wait to punch."

The dracanae hissed and Ali felt the sword twist deeper into her back, almost cutting into her.

The second snake woman, the leader as it seemed, sneered at her. "Shall we?" She turned on her snake legs and led them forward.

Finally, they reached a door.

Ali could here cheering and loud crashes inside. Never a good sign.

The dracanae leader threw the doors open with a lavish and strode triumphantly into the room.

They entered a vast arena. The stands were crowded with monsters and banners hung from the ceiling. A huge cyclops sat overseeing the brawl below. Next to him, in the seat of honor, was Luke, watching their group intently as they walked in and stood along the edge of the battlefield.

When the fight ended with one of the monsters disintegrating into a cloud of golden smoke, Luke stood from his seat. "Welcome. I was wondering when you would find your way here." He was focusing on Percy, but his eyes flashed with anger when his gaze fell on Ali. "You. You're supposed to be dead."

She glared up at him, a smug smirk tugging at the corners of her mouth. "You know what they say: if you want something done right, do it yourself."

He growled and turned back on Percy. "Care to test your metal, Jackson."

Percy shrugged. "Nah. I'm good."

Luke smirked. "Bold of you to think I was asking."

One of the dracanae forced Percy into the arena. He glared at her as he stumbled away.

On the other side of the arena, a boy wearing full armor and an eyepatch emerged from an opening, sword flashing in the torchlight.

Ali held her breath as the two boys fought. Her heart skipped a beat as Percy lost ground, but it wasn't long before the boy with the eyepatch was on the ground with Percy's blade against his throat.

"Finish it." The cyclops bellowed.

Percy shot him a defiant look then stood and offered the boy his hand to help him up.

The cyclops released an angry roar that shook the entire arena. "You dare defy me?" He turned to the giant holding Annabeth. "Kill her."

"Wait!" Luke blurted. He took a deep breath to regain his composure. "Perhaps another fight - one between brothers." He looked from the cyclops to Percy.

Ali moved to stand by Percy, but the dracanae grabbed her, stabbing her sword into her spine.

The cyclops eyed Percy intently. "So be it." He stood from his massive throne-like chair and descended to the arena floor.

Percy stared up at his huge opponent. He didn't have much of a chance, but he brandished his sword and gave the cyclops an award-winning smirk. "Bring it on, Ugly."