The Swayamvar-Numero Uno

Start from the beginning

And then, Sita. If any other person married her, Ram was sure he would be going on a murderous rampage that no one could stop. He loved that lady with all of his heart, and with every fibre of his soul. He sniffled a little bit, wiping a single, silvery tear away. None of his brothers liked to step out to watch the moon except Lakshman.

And there he was. His second brother, standing right beside him, half-asleep. Lakshman found sleep very easily, even on the night before his wedding. Ram cuffed the back of his head quickly, and Lakshman jumped up. His wide eyes reached the face of his brother, and softened immediately, wiping away Ram's single tear.

"Don't cry bhaiyya. Don't be sad. Life will only get better from here, don't you think?" he swallowed. "I've heard that women are amazing in many ways. I've heard that birds and butterflies flock to them, as if they can speak to animals." Lakshman frowned. "And I've also heard that they are very sensible in times we are not, and let their heart and minds both guide them." Ram shook his head, hugging Lakshman closer.

"Oh no, Laksh. I am not sad. These are happy tears, do you understand, happy tears?" Ram felt as if he was explaining this to a child, a small toddler. Lakshman would find no reason to cry, ever, especially when he was happy. "When someone is so exceptionally happy, and excited as I am, then sometimes, they cry." He took a long, deep breath of the chilly night air. "Isn't that weird, Lakshman? So very weird?"

Lakshman wordlessly handed him something, before disappearing back into his room. Ram opened it up, and let out a single, breathy laugh. A small, bejeweled hair clip, carved with wood and embossed with pearly shine and jewels. Lakshman always gave him toys when he was younger, arrowheads when he got slightly older. Now, he gave him a gift to give. Ram felt something changing. He was now going to be married. Have something other to worry about than kingdoms. Bharat would have something else to pay attention to other than his paints. Lakshman would have to set aside his weapons. Shatrughan needed to tone down his pranks. The days of their childhood were gone, no more steadily disappearing as the very last slipped away from him as the clock struck twelve loudly. Gone.

"Sita didi! Sita didi! Look at this! Do you see this golden earring? I think I'll wear it." Mandavi squealed, putting it on quickly. Shrutakirti, the self proclaimed jewelry expert, marched up to her, and snatched the large bell-like earring away from her, shaking her head and rolling her eyes, studying the earring closely.

"Urmila should wear those. Here, Maan. Wear these." She put on a small nose ring and a large, slightly less extravagant beaded earring. Mandavi pouted as Urmila laughed, snatching the jhumroo earrings and putting them on herself. Sita stood in front of the mirror, staring at herself, mouth agape. Urmila danced up to her, her face alight and sneaky.

"I think Ram bhaiyya will most certainly like that." She pointed to the off center maang tikka as Sita swatted her away, laughing. The entire atmosphere was alight with fervor and excitement as the giddy princesses twirled each other around, picking out jewelry and makeup for each other to wear.

Sita, always wanting floral jewelry, wore an off-center maang tikka as well as a centered one, a floral beaded necklace or two, and a large nose-ring. Mandavi tried to be cineplex, and had a beaded head jewelry, a choker necklace, and a set of beaded earrings. Urmila, unlike all of her sisters, liked to go all-out. And so she did. A heavy headdress, a large nose-ring, as well as multiple necklaces. She looked like a true princess. And then there was Shrutakirti, with an off-center maang tikka as well, and a large, jeweled Necklace as well as multiple ones further below. They all looked like the princesses they were.

"This is the last time I will ever go in public without sindoor." whispered Mandavi, looking down. Urmila choked and Sita smiled as Shrutakirti finally dropped her jewelry and sank onto her bed, putting her hands on her mouth as if scarcely believing it. "But I am not sad about that. I think sindoor is a lovely touch when you love the one you marry." Mandavi stated proudly, and Sita went up and hugged her, her smile widening.