17. Dance in the rain

Start from the beginning

I nod, absorbing the information. Who knew? This is actually quite sensible. But then...

"And if someone cheats?" I ask. Blood coming from bullet holes.

Luke shrugs his shoulders "Cheating can only get you so far."

I nod, not voicing the doubts in my mind. I focus on the passing greenery, the tall trees with old vines hanging from thick branches, roots plunging up and down in the earth. My eyes travel to the sky, clouds start filling the blue canvas with a muddy grey.

Someone grabs my arm.

I snap my head towards Luke. He's still as a statue, he glances at me with stormy blue hues. Don't move, they seem to say. His other hand lowers to put his bags on the forest floor before pulling out a shiny metallic thing from the waistband of his jeans.

Luke lets go of my arm and takes a few steps towards the shrubs nearby. I swallow the panic rising in my throat, my own heart pounds in my ears. Luke looks over the wide leaves and then lets out an inaudible sigh, his shoulders slouch with the movement.

"What is it?" I ask, already moving forward to see

Luke steps aside and I look past the shrubs, feeling the tension in my own shoulders release.

A deer family.

The fawn looks so young, it's weak legs wobbling. Its parents graze the grass nearby, keeping an eye on their young one. I feel my lips tug upwards in a smile.

"Don't tell me," Luke says from my left

"What?" I raise an eyebrow

"I'm not going to hunt them,"

"What?"

Luke gives me a passive look "A werewolf smiling at a deer family. I've seen that many times."

Blood rushes to my face. Partially from anger and partially from shame.

"I wasn't thinking that!" I narrow my eyes "And even if I had been thinking about eating them, I wouldn't ask you to do it for me."

"Really, Hazel?" Luke raises his brows "Do you think you could've managed on your own even without your werewolf abilities?"

I huff and cross my arms, giving him a steely glare.

"Of course I could," I say confidently "I can do everything on my own."

Luke leans forward, observing me with inquisitive blue eyes. I hold his stormy gaze, from my peripheral, I see him raise a hand and move it towards my face.

He flicks a finger at my forehead.
More from surprise then from pain, I lose my footing and fall on my behind.

"Ouch!" I rub my forehead. Damn, that hurts!

I glare at Luke, my glare intensifies when I see his lips tugging upward in an infuriating smirk.

"Forget it, Hazel." He shakes his head, mirth leaking in his voice

Luke starts walking and I quickly get up, following behind.

"You're such a jerk!" I jab a finger in his arm "You caught me off guard!"