epilogue part one: soporific

Start from the beginning

"You know I can't, Lucia." Tobias sighed.

Lucia came up to behind his chair, resting her hands on his shoulders and beginning to massage away the tension built up from the day.

Tobias' eyes fluttered shut, his breathing slow as he took a few moments away from the stressful day.

As Lucia rubbed her thumbs into his tense muscles, she saw the light scars that still were visible on his neck. A shiver ran down her spine at the thought.

Tobias placed his hands over hers, stopping her movements. "I'll come down for a drink when they arrive." He resigned, "But I can't stay the whole night."

"Thank you." Lucia hummed, leaning down to press a slow kiss to his neck.

After a few moments, she spoke again. "Kasper told me you wouldn't let him have his two biscuits, you know he always likes two."

"It's not good to instil greed into kids, Lucia. He's already an only child" He mumbled, turning the chair to face her and pull her into his lap gently.

"He is not greedy." She said sharply, "They are small biscuits, and I said he could have two. I don't like it when you override my parenting."

"I'm his father, Lucia."

"And I'm his mother. Besides, with all the time you spend up here rather than with him, I'm starting to think he'll believe Tinker the house elf is his father more than you." Lucia rolled her eyes, moving to stand up. Tobias' hands prevented her from moving.

"Do not speak to me like that. There may have been banter when we were teenagers, but we are adults now Lucia, and I suggest you act like it". Tobias spoke coldly.

Lucia sighed, "I'm sorry."

"Good." He pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Now go, I have work to do."

She stood up and left the room, not daring to say another word with fear it would be offensive.

By the time she's finished putting on a layer of lipstick, she heard the doorbell ring signalling guests had begun to arrive.

The warm face of Lysander greeted her when she opened the door, Sophia beside him in a navy dress with her arm linked in his.

"Good evening sunshine, how very floral you look today." Lysander beamed, pulling Lucia in for a hug.

"Thank you so much for coming." Lucia smiled as she was released from her greetings. She gestured for them to come inside, hors d'oeuvres lining the table for guests as everyone arrived.

It wasn't long before all the guests had arrived and begun to chatter. Mel and Darcy had greeted her with excitement, then taken Kasper for a game of hide and seek.

Lorcan and Jared had come too, now a couple, who were discussing the red wine from Tobias' wine cellar that Lucia had brought out.

Apollo had also arrived, along with other ministry workers from both Lucia and Tobias' sectors. Last of all, Lucia's mother and Don entered.

Just as Lucia was becoming overwhelmed with having to host by herself, she felt a hand snake around her waist. "Sorry I'm late." Tobias whispered with a squeeze of his hand. He soon released her.