xxvi. red like roses

That night everything occurred in excess. 

They drank in excess, they laughed in excess, they lived in excess. It was fun, it was exhilarating. Nerluce loved every moment of it, especially after so long living in Ethera. Nothing there was done in anything close to excess - besides perhaps studying and training. It was such a barebones existence Nerluce thought the shock of slipping back into his old ways might fry his nerves.

Instead, it felt like shrugging on a familiar set of robes. The color might not be as bright, the fabric not as soft, and sometimes it even had stains or tears, but at the end of the day it was familiar and it was yours and it would always welcome you no matter how much had happened.

The tavern was that familiar set of robes. It was dull and rough. It was stained and torn. It smelled odd and it was too small - though it was the largest structure in the town - to fit all of its usual patrons along with all of Ethera's second and third-year Fire Affinity disciples. They had to cram around three tables, sitting on mix-match benches, pulled up chairs, barrels, boxes, and whatever else not fixed to the floor.

Nerluce was on a barrel. Lyana was on a box, next to him. Most of the second years didn't get proper seats. Corbett had somehow secured a chair, though Nerluce had a feeling that Hamelin did most of the securing. Eko and Jurine didn't even have permanent seats. They kept standing and replacing and trading seats with anyone who abandoned theirs.

Drinks were poured. Everyone was talking loudly, in anticipation of the alcohol that would soon enter their veins but no one drank just yet as Doite got up on the table, raising his cup. 

"Let's celebrate this year and just how far we've come and will continue to go," Doite said with a crooked grin. "Let's drink to ourselves - and if one of your friends hasn't made it this far, you ought to drink double for them." A howl of laughter and clapping came from that. "And most of all, let's drink to the Chosen Light, who brought us all together and will continue making many more miracles!"

Another cheer. Nerluce rolled his eyes and tipped his drink back in one go.

"Who would've suspected that the popular Fire Affinity third year was the religious sort," Nerluce said.

"I know," Lyana said, shaking her head. "Even the best men have their flaws, though."

Nerluce snorted and raised his glass to Lyana. She clinked hers against his - though Nerluce could not say why she did so, he also didn't care - and they both downed their drinks before calling for a refill. 

The tavern maids rushed to and from their table at such a rapid pace Nerluce was half worried they might trip on the hems of their flowing, colorful silk robes. They were pretty - pretty in the way that all women were. Nerluce had certainly been waited on by much, much prettier women. Yet, he flirted with them just as shamelessly as he had with the women who served him in the Hebikoti clan.

These maidens had some bite to them, unlike those Hebikoti maids who knew exactly what Nerluce's family name was and what it meant.

"Young mistress," Nerluce said, "Come over here again."

The maid laughed as she refilled Jurine's drink. "Have you already finished your drink, young master?"

"No, young mistress," Nerluce said. "I just wish to gaze upon your beautiful face once more."

"Then gaze from afar," the maid said.

Lyana snorted as the maid walked away. Nerluce laughed and tipped his drink back. He loved the play-acting that he was allowed to engage in taverns. Nothing anyone said in taverns really mattered anyways.