Chapter 44: Thing 1 and Thing 2

Start from the beginning

Lloyd sniffed and replied, "Be came do bescue you, Weaf. We— aw, comeb on!" He groaned and rubbed his nose, frustrated by his stuffy sinuses. "Stupid allerdies—! Be're here do get you out!" He grabbed her hand and began leading her away. "Comeb on, be should—"

"Aw, can't I at least catch that stupid little bird first?" Little Leaf looked back longingly at the parrot.

The parrot looked at her and squawked, "I'm in me mum's car! Vroom, vroom!"

"No, Weaf." Lloyd shook his head and sniffed. "Everyone else id out there and be're trying to get Dog Bone's moondtone—"

Both teens froze when they heard the sound of rough voices coming from outside the door Lloyd had one hand on. They shared a panicked look when they realized the voices were drifting closer to where they were—fast.

"Quick, over there!" Little Leaf yanked Lloyd over to one of the massive curtains and ducked behind them. "We can hide here!"

There was no time to argue. Lloyd slipped behind the curtain and crouched down beside her. Both sat down, and Lloyd felt something soft brush his shoulder. He glanced backward to catch sight of several coat hangers filled with colorful uniforms and costumes hanging together, lined up against the wall and completely hidden by the curtain. It was dark, and Lloyd couldn't see his surroundings very well, but he could make out Little Leaf's figure crouching down beside him. Her eyes glowed eerily in the shadows.

Lloyd frowned at the costumes hanging behind them. "Why—?"

"Shh!" Leaf pressed a finger to her lips and shook her head, nostrils flaring. Lloyd fell quiet and held his breath.

The sound of the voices grew louder when they heard the door creak open and heavy footsteps walk in. The door shut behind them, trapping Lloyd and Leaf with the men.

One man was saying, "The guests are all here, and ready for you to make an appearance."

"Good, very good," a rough voice replied, drifting to the middle of the room.

Lloyd recognized the voice. Dog Bone, he thought.

The parrot rattled his chain and squawked, "General Kenobi! You are a bold one!"

"Be quiet, Frederick," Dog Bone reprimanded. "So." He sounded as if he were turning to his companions. "How do I look?"

Lloyd wished he could see what was going on. He shifted on his butt, but Leaf flashed him a warning glance.

"Excellent, sir," one man complimented.

"Outstanding," another replied smoothly.

"Swag," a third voiced approvingly.

"Of course I do." Lloyd heard some kind of material rustle. "Gentlemen, this is a very, very special day for me." Dog Bone sounded solemn, yet sneering and self-satisfied at the same time. "It's taken a lot of years for me to rebuild myself to this state, and for our little empire to grow and expand as much as it has. I cannot express—"

"I have a pen! I have an apple!" Frederick the parrot chanted cheekily, flapping his wings almost mockingly.

"Shut yer trap, ya stupid bird!" Dog Bone growled. "Gah-lee, you don't ever shut up, do you?!"

The parrot squawked again, "No. I am a helicopter."

"Bah, just leave the dumb bird be, boss," one man growled dismissively. "You'll be able to talk for as long as ya want once you show yourself to the guests and start the party an' stuff."