Chapter 42: Getting In

Start from the beginning

"I like it, too." Her mother's fingers had run affectionately through her daughter's hair, which she had braided into pigtails that morning. "And won't the pink and blue colors match your lovely hair so well?"

Young Liana had frowned in confusion. "I can't see the pink and blue, Mommy," she'd said. "I don't even remember what they look like."

A long moment of silence followed. The comforting fingers left her hair abruptly. The little girl felt a twinge of unease when she couldn't hear her mother anymore.

"Mommy?"

"I— yes. Of course." She heard her mother's voice. It sounded oddly strangled, as if she was choking on something. "I'm sorry, honey... I—I forgot." A shuddering gasp followed, and Liana had realized her mother was crying.

"Don't cry!" the little girl had exclaimed anxiously. She didn't know why her mother was crying, but it scared her. Her fear overwhelmed her, and her young voice began to quiver. "Did I do something bad?"

"No!" Her mother had gasped. "No, no! Of course not, honey! I just—" She choked again and hugged Liana tightly. "I'm sorry— I— I just wish you could see."

From then on Liana had left the decision of picking out clothing articles to her mother. At age thirteen she finally stopped coming to the mall. She told her mother that she didn't care what it looked like as long as it was acceptable and comfortable.

She didn't care about the style of clothing or what colors or patterns she wore, for how can one care about a soundless, lifeless thing when they cannot see it? Clothes were merely a way for humans to protect their thin bodies from the natural elements and to be modest, and Liana didn't see why the girls at school always made such a terrible fuss about it. It irritated her when someone would ask her something such as, "So, what're you gonna wear to Angela Morrison's birthday party?", to which she would reply sarcastically, "Clothes—unless we're going naked this year."

When her parents passed away, Liana had been at the age when she pretty much stopped growing, so she was able to wear the same things for years afterwards—even though when she came to Stiix, Hallie and Tiffany would complain that her clothes were always so old-fashioned and outdated.

With this history of clothes-shopping in mind, it was only natural Liana accepted the task to pick out outfits for the occasion with reluctance, and thought that she would make Nya very uncomfortable in the fact that she couldn't see the numerous dresses on the hangers and would need help finding matching articles. Nya hadn't sounded too keen on shopping either, mostly because over the years being on the ninja team had made feel like she ought to leave behind her feminine side.

However, confidence flared in Nya once they had entered the mall, and she took Liana by the hand and led her easily down the hallways and aisles of the ladies' sections. She adjusted herself to Liana's needs and inspected potential outfits for her, letting her feel the shape and physical style of the skirts and gowns. Nya found clothing that complimented Liana's complexion and physique, and Liana made her decisions based on her sense of touch.

After an extensive search—during which the two girls chatted and tittered happily to pass the time—she finally settled on a soft, slim qipao dress with silk, swirling ridges across the skirt. Nya told her it was blue with pink outlining that had cherry tree blossoms and colorful flowers designed on it, and that she looked very beautiful in it. They also chose a matching masquerade mask for her, in order to cover her scarred face and pupiless eyes. "You're playing the part of a rich crime lord's daughter," Nya explained. "So you'll be wearing something slightly fancier than I will. I'm going to be more of a street rat."

Though without sight, Liana took part in helping Nya choose something, too. She would trace her fingers along the patterns, sleeves, skirt and such when Nya came out of the dressing room and judge it from sense of touch. The final product of her outfit included ripped jeans, a stylish leather jacket, and a messy ponytail wig. Liana obviously couldn't see what she looked like, but she claimed that Nya "felt" cool.