First Movements

Holly lay slumped on a camp chair, watching as the rest of the tribe go about cooking their tea. They had been in Wales for about 11 weeks now, a lot longer than they first expected. They were hoping to be on the road again soon, it appeared that Kylie was dying off her search for them. But they just wanted to be sure before they set off.

Ever since Ernesto had discovered she was carrying his baby, he had insisted that Holly not lift a finger. He didn't want his Chi Chi to be put in any sort of danger, even if it was a mere cut on her finger from chopping a potato. Most of the time this frustrated her to no end - she wasn't an invalid, she wanted to do her fair share. But on days like today she was grateful for his over protectiveness. Her back ached, her ankles were swollen, and all she really wanted to do was relax, comforted by the background noise of her tribe.

Her moments of relaxation, however, were short lived as she heard someone plonk themselves down on the log next to her. She opened one eye slowly, taking in the appearance of her smiling friend

"Wakey wakey, Holly." Serena teased her. "Dinner is ready."

The idea of food instantly perked the girl up. The further into her pregnancy she went, the hungrier she became. She and the baby were always ravenous.

Ernesto approached her, a bowl of food in his hands and a smile on his face.

"For my Chi Chi, and my little Chi Chi." He said affectionately.

She happily took the bowl of food from him. Wild nettle and potato soup. Yum. The tribe were still lying low, with visits to markets and swap shops limited. They couldn't risk being captured, especially when the commit was so close to coming. They had become pretty skilled at foraging, but the variety of food was pretty limited. She still smiled at him appreciatively.

Life lying low was pretty relaxing. Holly would never admit it, but she wasn't looking forward to the day when they were back to traveling hundreds of miles every day on the search for sensitives in their bid to save the world. Maybe it was just her fear of putting her unborn baby at risk, or a bit of nesting kicking in. But she enjoyed their lives right now. For the first time in a long time, she felt like she had found a home. She felt guilty for even thinking that.

Dessert consisted of a mixture of berries and wild flowers, something which Holly often found herself craving. She enjoyed chucking them towards Ernesto, cheering every time he caught one in his mouth.

"Hey! Don't waste them!" She laughed as he missed a berry and watched as it tumbled to the floor.

"Why? Do you want it?" A mischievous grin grew over Ernesto's face as he approached her, hands out stretched.

"Ernesto! Ern!" She shrieked in delight as his hands went to her waist, tickling her.

Her laughter filled their campsite, it was infectious. Soon the rest of the tribe were smiling in their direction; there was something about a pregnant Holly which was just so adorable.

He eventually stopped, kneeling down in front of her and placing his hands on either side of her bump. He had become a lot more affectionate, regardless of if they were around people or not. They were in their own little bubble, oblivious to the world around them.

"I love you, my baby Chi Chi." He smiled before placing a kiss where their baby was growing.

Holly felt butterflies in the pit of her stomach, basking in the love her partner was showing her. She looked down at him, confused when she noticed his eyes looking widely at her belly.

"Ern, you ok?" She asked, running a hand through his hair.

He didn't answer, instead planting another kiss on her stomach. She felt the butterflies once again arising inside of her and a huge smile filled his face.

"Chi Chi, you felt that right?" He looked up at her excitedly.

That's when Holly realised. The butterflies in her stomach was the baby kicking!

"Our baby, Ern." She whispered, her hand instinctively going to her stomach, tears springing to her eyes. Bloody pregnancy hormones.

She felt it with her own hand this time, like a tiny wave across her stomach. She looked at him with disbelief.

"Our baby." He responded back, taking her in his arms kissing her passionately.

"Hey! What's going on?" Reese called over. Of course she would be nosey, but Holly was too happy to make a snide comment back.

"Our baby, she's kicking!" Ernesto exclaimed with a bright smile.

He had been insisting since day one that it would be a girl. "Daddy's instincts," he claimed.

Soon Holly had a whole hoard of people touching her stomach, gasping as her baby kicked their hands. Having this much attention on her would usually wind her up, but it had been a long time since the Sparticles had had something to smile about. And they were smiling over her and Ernesto's baby. He or she was already so loved by so many people.

"Wow! There's actually a baby in there!" Frankie cried in excitement, causing the rest of the group to burst out laughing.

"Nah, she's just been eating loads the last few months!" Sadiq teased his sister.

Holly smiled lovingly at her friends, her family. These were the people she wanted in her baby's life.

She yawned some, it had been a long day. Ernesto must have noticed.

"Ok, come on. I think it's time we all got to bed." He ushered the tribe away, only receiving a few protests (mostly from Frankie).

He helped Holly up, bidding goodnight to their friends and making their way to the van. They'd set up a little corner for just the two of them; Ernesto had tried to make it as comfortable for her as he could. A sheet cornered them off from everyone else, with fairy lights adorning the walls. He had laid as many pillows and blankets as they could spare on the floor; he didn't want her lying on the cold hard floor of the van. The baby book he had been reading religiously informed him that sleep could be difficult with a baby inside you, which was only confirmed by Holly's constant fidgeting throughout the night.

Holly removed her dress and tights, leaving her in just her knickers and top, her swollen stomach barely peeking out above the waistline. Ernesto looked at her with awe; the admiration for his Chi Chi seemed to grow by the day.

He gestured for her with open arms to come cuddle up in their make shift bed, to which Holly happily obliged. She set herself resting against his bare chest as he pulled out their pregnancy book. It had quickly become their favourite part of the evening routine, a time to bond with their baby.

He wrapped his arms around her, holding the book in front of them with one hand, the other laying protectively over her bump. They could hear the sound of the rest of the Sparticles getting themselves ready for bed. Once the weather got better, they would set up their tents and camp outside. But for now it was too cold, and everyone took shelter in their van.

"The eyes are now fully formed." Ernesto began to read aloud. "The irises of the eye still lack colour, but this will develop before birth."

She smiled up at him. "I hope baby has your eyes."

He continued to read before he felt Holly go limp in his arms, quiet snores escaping her.

"I love you." He whispered quietly before lying them both down to sleep.