iii | the nightmare begins

Start from the beginning

| | |

Merlin, who had overheard what Gaius had said to Morgana, was feeling just as conflicted as Lia. He watched Gaius carefully, who was working on a potion while Lia was chopping up the ingredients.

"I was helping clear up Morgana's chambers earlier," Merlin told them. Gaius only hummed in response, not really paying attention. "The window was blown out into the courtyard below." Again, Gaius did not acknowledge him. "It's odd, isn't it? If lightning struck the window like Arthur said, you'd think the glass would've fallen inside of the window."

Merlin shared a knowing look with Lia before staring at Gaius. "It was magic. You know it was. More importantly, so does she."

Gaius froze. "Morgana knows nothing for certain."

"Which makes it even worse. She isn't sure what's happening to her and it's tearing her apart," Merlin said.

"What would you have me do?" Gaius asked him.

"Talk to her. Tell her she'll be ok. Tell her that her powers aren't something to be afraid of."

Gaius shook his head before going back to the potion. "I can't."

"Maybe I could speak to her," Merlin suggested.

"No, Merlin, you can't!" Gaius said.

"What not?" Merlin asked, not understanding. "I understand what she's going through."

"You must never reveal your secret. Not to anyone," he warned.

"If not me, then someone else," Merlin said. "What about Lia?"

"No," Gaius said, shaking his head.

"Why not?" Lia asked, finally joining the conversation. "I helped Merlin when I found out about his magic."

"You know how hard Uther has come down on magic sympathizers as of late. If he found out, you'd be executed," Gaius explained.

"I don't care," Lia said, crossing her arms. "Morgana needs to know that someone believes her. I don't want her to go through this alone. She needs someone to help her. Even if it's not me, then someone else. I mean, what about the Druids? You told us that they help people like this."

"Uther's vowed to destroy them. The Druids cannot help her. It would be suicide," Gaius explained.

"Then who can?" Merlin asked.

"I will. Like I've always done," he told them.

"Then you need to be honest with her," Merlin said, growing frustrated.

"What makes you so certain that you know better than me?"

"Because I went through the same thing!" Merlin shouted. "I know exactly how she's feeling right now."

"You cannot get involved in this," Gaius said in a calmer tone. "No good can come of it. I mean it, Merlin, Lia. Both of you stay out of it!"

Gaius would hear no more and he went back to his potion. Unknown to him, Merlin and Lia shared a look. There was no way either of them were going to stay out of it.

| | |

The pair didn't have to wait long for a confrontation with Morgana. The sun had only been down for a few hours before the ward was rushing into the physician chambers. Morgana was dressed in her nightgown and clearly in distress.

"Is Gaius here?" she asked, glancing from Merlin to Lia.

"He'll be back soon, I think," Lia told her. "Are you alright?"