i | the curse of cornelius sigan

Start from the beginning

| | |

Gaius was so worried about Sigan and his tomb that he felt the need to warn Uther about it. Usually, he did these things alone, but after nearly dying at the hands of Nimueh, he had been trusting Lia with more and more responsibilities. This included her accompanying him to more private conversations with Uther.

Of course, Lia didn't know everything that the King had trusted with Gaius. But Uther never protested her attendance at these meetings. After all, Uther knew she would one day replace Gaius, and he needed to be able to trust her guidance in the future. He hoped that Lia could be for Arthur what Gaius was for him.

"Gaius. What is it you want?" Uther asked as Gaius entered the council room, Lia trailing behind. The King had been in the middle of eating his dinner alone.

"To seal up the burial chamber and all its contents," Gaius told him, not wanting to waste any time.

Uther chuckled and shook his head. "Don't be ridiculous."

"The insignia on this ring belongs to Cornelius Sigan," Gaius said. Uther held out a hand for Gaius to pass him the ring. "I believe it to be his tomb. In the Old Religion, the name Sigan means raven."

"No wonder the riches are so great," he said, handing the ring back.

"Then you are aware of the legends, Sire?"

"Yes. I have always enjoyed the tale of the arrogant sorcerer who came to an untimely end," he said with an amused smile.

"According to the story, Sigan cursed Camelot. He said he would return and raze the city to the ground," Gaius told him.

"Gaius, you have long been my ally in the war against sorcery. You, more than anyone, should not give in to these irrational fears," Uther told him, going back to his dinner. "You would not want to pass said fears on to Lia."

"Of course," Gaius said. Then he bowed, seeing that the conversation had come to an end. "Thank you, Sire."

Before Gaius and Lia could leave, Uther stopped them to issue a warning. "And Gaius. Do not spread panic amongst my people. This is foolish superstition, nothing more."

| | |

It had seemed that after the whole ordeal with the Questing Beast and Nimueh that Morgana's horrible nightmares had ceased. It came as a relief to Lia and Gwen, who had been growing more and more worried for her as each day passed. Though Morgana still struggled to get a good night's rest, she no longer woke up screaming after terrifying nightmares that never left her mind during the day. That was something that they were all thankful for.

Unfortunately, it seemed that Morgana's time of mental peace had come to an end. It was very early in the morning when Gwen called for Lia and Gaius. Morgana had woken in the middle of the night from a horrible nightmare. It had taken Gwen a long time to calm her down, and even then, she could not get Morgana to go back to sleep. Whatever she had dreamt had horrified her — she couldn't even get out of bed.

"What was this dream about?" Gaius asked as he felt Morgana's forehead. Lia had her arm around her and Morgana was curled into her side, welcoming the comforting embrace.

"A bird," Morgana replied, avoiding eye contact.

"What kind of bird?" he asked.

"A raven."

"A raven?" Gaius repeated. His face gave nothing away, but he glanced at Lia for a second. They both were thinking of Sigan's seal.

"It was terrifying, Lia," Morgana said, shutting her eyes as Lia combed her fingers through her hair. "Gaius, what do you think it means?"