11 | Prom

Whitney's POVMusic blasted in the chilly room as the colorful lights flickered on the dancefloor

Whitney's POV
Music blasted in the chilly room as the colorful lights flickered on the dancefloor. I look up at the white streamers with gold fairy lights, alternating on the ceilings.

I poked at the potatoes on my plate, stopping instinctively as I awaited for a good scolding, only to realize that Jace is nowhere in this venue.

I then ate the potatoes in disappointment, glaring at the gravy boat that's mocking me whilst, oblivious of my friends as they gave each other looks.

"Girl, you can't avoid him forever."

"We can always get mayonnaise... Oh wait, that's too carbs-y."

I sighed, "I'm fine, just not feeling dinner."

Mia rolled her eyes, "You're not fine, I feel like you're the only one who's not having fun."

I glanced at the other table where Malachi and the rest of Jace's friends are hanging out. I'm not even sure if they're still drinking wine... or beer they probably snuck in when the guard wasn't looking.

There were people at the photobooth, laughing and taking silly photos with the provided props in groups. Then there's Rick, cozying next to Josie as I watch him take her glasses off before she looked away from him shyly.

I scoffed, the nerd and the jock... Typical.

Now I know why Jace hates the stereotypes.

"Ladies?" a red head greeted.

"Oohh fancy..."

"Evening."

"What do you want?"

Greyson gave Carrie a wink before smiling at me which instantly turned into a frown when he met Mia's eyes.

He sighed, "Nice to meet you too, you must be Mia." he guessed before whispering, "The old man is looking for you."

The red head glanced at the gold and white balloon entrance where Mia's date is waiting as he peeked from outside the glass paned doors.

My bestfriend straightened her backless cyan blue gown before tucking a loose hair strand behind her ear, "I gotta go." she smiled with a sudden change of demeanor, making her way towards Malachi.

"And... you must be Whitney." Greyson resumed towards me. It took me everything to stop myself from asking about Jace that I almost took an internal relief when the red head asked a question himself.

"Mind if we take a selfie?"

I chuckled, feeling a bit confused.

"I don't think--"

"Cool, thanks." he cut me off, leaning himself and his phone towards me that I just shrugged it off and smiled for the camera instead.

He fiddled with his phone for a minute before glancing at Carrie, who was drinking from a glass goblet as she stared at the decorations on the ceiling.