REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 10.

PART 2: NIGHTMARES OF THE PAST

Buffy, Xander, and Willow stood frozen in the dark alley, gaping at the chiseled figure of Batman as his cape flowed outward from his broad shoulders. He towered over them like a grim statue amidst the dissipating vapors of his knockout gas that had lain every panicked teenager flat.

"Uhhhh," Buffy said.

"Yeah," Willow gasped. "Ditto."

"So!" Xander said, struggling to break the silence. He waved a hand high. "Nice to meetcha! Big fans. Collect all the action figures." He frowned at himself. "You probably don't need to know that. Sorry if we seemed terrified. We thought you were some kind of monster. But now we know you're not scary at all. I mean, you are. But only to bad guys. Which we're not, by the way, so – please don't hurt us. And, uh – what brings you out here, on this dark and breezy night?"

"The Scarecrow," Batman answered in a stern monotone.

"The Scarecrow?" Buffy asked. "Here in Sunnydale?"

"He's behind this outbreak of panic," Batman continued. "Using a toxin he's recently developed. I've traced similar patterns across the country, in large cities heading east to west. We're close to Los Angeles, so I figured he might strike there next, apparently testing it out in varying doses. Instead, it showed up here."

"And ... so did you," Buffy said in a daze as she found herself hypnotized. Batman wasn't just a legend among crimefighters. He was also tall, dark, and gorgeous. She shook herself back to awareness. "Uhhh, so – what's that big bad Scarecrow up to – do you think?"

"Undetermined," Batman said. "Extortion is his usual racket. He incites fear in people to make them surrender cash, stocks, or other valuables. I recognized the same pattern of sudden violent aggression and panic that I witnessed in Gotham City a few weeks ago, before the Scarecrow disappeared. His new toxin attacks the fear and emotional centers of the brain, causing a hallucination of someone's private terror. He broadcast a video message, threatening to spread it widely, calling it a 'living nightmare.' I traced it to its source at an abandoned factory and dismantled his operation, but the Scarecrow escaped. Now it seems he's found help to ramp up production. I designed a program for the Justice League satellite to track these fear outbreaks across the country, wherever they cropped up. Fortunately, I was on the satellite when it alerted me to the chaos in the streets here, so I teleported down to stop it."

Xander's jaw dropped. "Teleported?" he asked. "You mean like, 'Beam me up, Scotty?' You guys can do that?"

Batman frowned. "Technically I teleported down. But yes, we can."

"Wow," Willow said in a hush. "The Justice League totally rocks."

Batman continued, ignoring their awestruck stares. "The toxin's effects are temporary, wearing off within a few hours."

"So Jonathan's okay, then," Buffy said. "It's totally left his system."

"Correct, if he's one of the victims," Batman said. "The real problem is finding those who have been affected to prevent them from harming themselves or anyone else. As well as cutting off the toxin's source, permanently."

"Wow," Willow said. "I keep saying, 'wow.' Uh ... Thanks for sharing, but – why are you sharing?" She put up her hands, almost in an apologetic panic. "Not that I mind. It's all very interesting, but why are you telling us this, instead of knocking us out like everybody else?"

Xander giggled nervously at her. "Will, let's not give him any suggestions, okay?"

"I'm fortunate to have run into you," Batman said. "I need to track down the Scarecrow and whoever's assisting him. I figure the Slayer and her team might have some ideas."