Chapter 1

Chapter I – My almost-escape 

“No, My Lady, you mustn’t! Your image! What would the people think of your father if we let you do that? You’re putting your brother’s reputation at harm!” I had enough of it. I was reaching my limit. And then, when I had pleaded for that poor child’s life, I had been locked in my chambers so people wouldn’t hear of it. It was so unfair! I hadn’t been able to look my father in the eye since then. My brother I had forgiven. He was bearing enough burden already. It would have been selfish of me to ask of him to disobey our father. The child had indeed endangered his life. How could I have been so blind? And childish as well... I couldn’t bear to step on my pride and beg for forgiveness of father. I just was not cut out for such a life. I had to do something.

***

I quietly moved towards the door. I listened closely and then opened it, only leaving enough space to sneak a head out. I looked around. The hallway was deserted. No guards at the door. I sighed relieved. Well, not even Charlie would dare cross me. I smiled, almost sad the sneaking out would raise no challenge. I closed the door. I felt a sharp pain on my ankle as I stumbled across the room to the desk to grab the stuff I had packed after the chambermaids had left, before going to bed. I guessed I’d just have to be more careful with the way I moved, and walked slowly, putting less pressure on my left leg, and supporting myself on the right.

I left the room, carrying the carefully packed goods and I moved slowly down a few sets of stairs, before finally making it out in the courts. There weren’t many guardians, and most of them were just talking with one another over a game of cards. I told myself I’d have a discussion on the subject of security with my brother the next morning and have him scold our father for being so careless.

It was easy getting to the woods, only slow. With my hurt leg, I couldn’t move very fast, and I kept stumbling whenever I made the mistake of leaning on it. I walked through the forest, following a path only I knew of, through the maze of large trees, coloured in traces of red and orange. As soon as I heard the rustling sounds, I knew I was close. And soon, I could see her, waiting in the same spot I’d left her in a night before. I stroked her mane, and she buried her nose in my hair. I chuckled. She was a beautiful white horse, prettier than any I’d seen before. I almost felt bad leaving her here all alone. It must have belonged to someone else before I’d found her... I untied the ropes and lead her deeper into the forests, suddenly feeling unsecure about standing there, so close to the castle, where anyone could find us. I was just being silly. Nobody came to this side of the courts anymore, let alone at night, but I didn’t feel like taking chances.

I took a cube of sugar out of one of the packages and she gladly took it away from me. I smiled. “Good girl,” I whispered. “Soon, we’ll be out of here... Just wait...” I tied the rest of the packs to the saddle. 

I took her by the ropes and walked some more, deeper and deeper into the forest. Suddenly, I felt my ankle hurt, and I stumbled across something laying on the ground and fell over it. I cried out in pain. I tried to get up and find out what I had fallen on. You can’t imagine my shock when I realised it was a body. My heart was beating like mad, as if trying to get out of my chest. I thought this was it. I had been found. But then, he didn’t look much alive. To my horror, I found that idea scared me more. It was bad luck, finding a dead man on your path, everybody knew that. I kneeled near the man, leaning closer to him. His face was covered in superficial wounds, blood still dripping from them. I let out a heavy sigh of relief, seeing his chest rise and fall in unsteady, discontinued breaths. He was sweating a lot. I examined his body and found the source of his pain, a deep bleeding wound on his left side, an arrow sticking out of it. I didn't touch it, fearing that the bleeding might become worse. I anxiously touched his cheek. He was burning.

I got up and took a look around myself. Only trees, I knew, for a range of miles. How had he gotten there. Where had he come from? I didn’t recall seeing him around the castle... I gasped. I had to do something. That man was dying. I could barely move on my own, let alone carry him with me. I had to think fast. I couldn’t take him to the stables. People would be there in the morning. Then it hit me. There was a side of the castle no one passed through anymore. It had been damaged by the fire from 5 years ago but a couple of the rooms there still stood untouched and in perfect state.

I drew my horse closer and tried lifting the stranger over on her back. It was hard. My leg was hurting. The horse suddenly sat down, as if understanding my pain. I caressed her neck lovingly. It eased the burden a lot but it was still hard. By the time I got him up,  I could feel drops sweat on my forehead and I was softly shivering.

I took the horse by the ropes and we slowly headed to the deserted side of the castle. I just hoped there weren’t any guards on that part. Avoiding them in my current state would be troublesome. I still avoided walking through the open fields, hiding in the shadow of the forest. The way there took longer than I had expected.

There was no light coming from the part of the castle I was heading to and I was grateful for it. I hadn’t been there for a long while and I was not sure if people had started living there again. I arrived at the door.

Suddenly, I heard the man moaning from over the horse. I hurried to come closer. His eyes were barely open and he was trying to get up from the uncomfortable position I had put him in. I touched his arm, trying a smile of reassurance. “Are you alright?” I whispered.

He suddenly jumped off the horse, in a swift move, leaving me shocked he even had the necessary strength to do that. But not for long. I saw him stumbling as soon as he reached the ground. He touched his wound, with a pained look on his face, without letting out a sound. I reached over to him, but he threw his fist at me. I easily dodged the powerless swing and grabbed his wrist. “I’m here to help you,” I looked at him annoyed.

He looked surprised, but then his expression quickly changed to a smile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised at how many have read the prologue to this story! Thank you!

I'm not really sure about the first passage. It's her thinking really, about her reasons to leave the castle. It's pretty messed up, but Delilah's mind is also pretty messed up so I thought it would be okay to leave it this way. You can see the action from the prologue is not really mentioned here, it will come play it's turn soon, though, so look forward to more Arthur and Charlie xD

Well, the real story starts now... Look forward to it! :)

Please let me know what you think!

Diana.