Prologue

Prologue

I listened quietly, leaning on the old elm tree, the one that felt so much like home, my safe spot for each sad time during my childhood. I reached my hand out to the wooden branches, caressing softly. This was also where I ran to that time in the night, when I was just 11 and I felt my whole world was falling apart. When everybody kept asking the impossible of me, this used to be my hiding place. Mine, and mine only. That was... until he found out about it. What was he doing bringing that guy here?! I felt betrayed.

I leaned forward, still standing in the shadows. It sounded like they were arguing, but I couldn’t exactly make out what they were saying. I tried standing still, but I just couldn’t. I had to hear what they were saying. Only the thought of Charlie arguing with that guy  was enough to feel better about him letting that guy stain this sacred place with his mere presence. I almost smiled.

I swiftly moved towards a tree closer to them, hiding behind it. “No. There is no way I’m doing that. You are my best friend, you should have known better than to just ask something like that of me!” I heard Charlie’s voice. It didn’t show any trace of feelings, but it was clear he was disappointed in the request that guy apparently made. “Do you really think I want to be here, in this position?” Arthur whined. I didn’t like him. I never did. Even though Charlie was my childhood friend and I got along with him so well, I just couldn’t stand him. I touched the trunk of the tree, in order to steady myself, but instead I lost my balance, not paying attention to where I was placing my hand, and found myself on the ground, making a rustling sound. A cry of pain escaped my throat as I sprained my leg during the fall. I cursed under my breath. My gown was now tattered and muddy. I let a sigh out.

As I was thinking there was no way they couldn’t have heard my scream, from that distance, my thoughts were proved right before I even finished thinking them. I heard their footsteps on the leaf-rug and turned my head away quickly, in a silly thought they might not recognise me and just leave me be. Tough luck. Even in the dim light coming from the lantern he was holding, Charlie knew who I was, even without seeing my face.

“Delilah?” I turned and faced him. I saw a bunch of emotion running over his face, one quickly being replaced by another. His eyes were wide in surprise, then that turned to shock noticing the way I looked, afterwards came anger... He finally let out a sigh and reached out a hand for me to take and get up. I gratefully accepted his help. “What-” he began.

“How much did you hear?” Arthur interrupted, jumping at me, his hands griping at my throat. There were no mixed feelings in his eyes. Just pure rage. I swallowed and glared at him, grabbing his wrist with my free hand.

“If wouldn’t do that, if I were you,” I hissed. “What are you going to do? Choke me?” I asked mockingly.

“If I were you, I’d watch my back,” he replied, threateningly, but he still let go. He turned to Charlie and whispered a ‘Let’s continue this conversation tomorrow’ and then headed back towards the castle grounds.

I glanced at Charlie. He was frozen. Apparently, he did not expect that sort of reaction from his friend either. I pulled myself up, using his hand as a support, but I stumbled forward, as pressure was put on my freshly wounded ankle. Charlie quickly moved, steadying me with his free hand.

I muttered a ‘Thank you’ and looked down at my leg. I hoped it wouldn’t get swollen. That would raise questions, and I truly hated questions. Especially those directed at me.

“How much did you really hear?” I heard Charlie asking, his tone now completely serious. I shrugged. “I really didn’t hear anything. He just managed to get on my nerves.” He sighed.

“Stop making enemies. Even a whole army will not be able to defend you if you keep being like this.” He put his arm around me and helped me make my way back to the castle. Good thing it had already gotten dark. No unnecessary questions from the people working outside then. “I don’t have enemies. Just that guy,” I muttered. “Why did you bring him here, of all places?”

“Oh, that was it?” he asked, almost sounding relieved. What was up with that? Was there anything else I should have to worry about? I just let it slide for that night, as I was tired and didn’t feel like arguing any longer. I just walked slowly, bracing myself for the racket that would be awaiting me back at my chambers when Charlie would call all of the chambermaids and healers to assist me and, most probably, make sure I would not escape. And I would be too tired to argue...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there! Thanks for reading this! It's just the first chapter, and more of a prologue too. The main story will be much more interesting (I hope!) It's the first story I'm uploading and I hope it will turn out well...

Let me know what you think!

D.