Chapter Thirty

"You think what?" Derek asked as a small smile grew on his face.

"I think I might be pregnant." Meredith repeated, a similar smile appearing on her face. "I've not took a test or anything, but the champagne at the dress shop didn't taste right and then I almost started crying over Ashley's dress. In the car Ashley suggested it and I brushed it away, but then I started to do the math and the night you proposed is just over five weeks ago."

"Mer, you're rambling."

"Sorry."

Derek tucked a strand of hair that had fallen in front of her face behind her ear and placed a kiss on the top of her head. He could tell that she was nervous and so wrapped his arms around her tightly, before leading her through to their room.

"I'm going to go and get some tests, anything else you want? Crazy cravings?"

"Shut up and go." Meredith said with a laugh. "Some pickles maybe?, I got some jam the other day when I went shopping."

Derek chuckled in disbelief at her strange request as he left the room, smiling at the thought of another child. He was half way down the stairs when Ashley came out of her room.

"Where are you going?" She asked, clearly wanting her father to admit.

"I'm just nipping out to CVS, anything you need?"

"Nope, can I come?"

"Ashley." Derek said with a raise of his eyebrows, to which she smirked.

"Let me know if I'm right." She called to him before going back to her room.

When Derek arrived home from the store, he was grateful to see that Ashley's car had left the drive and she was obviously allowing them time to find out alone. Meredith was still sat on their bed when he walked back in, she was staring at the wall and, although she didn't realise it, had a hand resting over her stomach.

"Mer, I got some different tests, you ready?"

"I can't be pregnant, I don't know how to be a mom and I didn't exactly have the perfect role model to look up to and we're not even married yet and..."

Knowing the she wouldn't listen to a word he said during her ramble, Derek pulled Meredith into a hug and wrapped his arms around her tightly. Her rambling stopped and she burried her face into his chest, taking a moment to collect herself as he placed a kiss on the top of her head.

"Okay, I'm ready." She smiled.

Meredith took one of the tests before going back out to sit with Derek, placing the test next to her on the bed and slipping her hand into his. Both were nervous with excitement, and in an attempt to calm his fiancee Derek ran his thumb over the back of her hand a couple of times, then pulled her closer to him with an arm wrapped around her waist.

Neither of them spoke during the five minutes, but when the timer finally went off, Derek silenced it and Meredith practically lunged for the test. Silence remained over them as they shared a smile and to help her hesitation Derek placed his fingers rotund hers on the test and slowly turned it over.

The results window glared the word 'pregnant' at them.

Whilst Meredith let out a laughter of joy, Derek just pulled her into his chest, their hearts beating rapidly.

"We're having a baby." Derek whispered.

Laughing at him, Meredith was picked off the edge of the bed by Derek and he placed her in the middle, trailing kisses down from her lips to her clavicle. He then lifted the bottom of her shirt gently and placed kisses all over her flat stomach, whispering words of love to their baby quiet enough so Meredith couldn't fully understand them.

"We need to get me booked in for a blood test and an ultrasound to see how far along I am." Meredith said, pulling Derek from his one sided conversation.

"I know, we can sort it out a work tomorrow. Thank you." Derek said as he crawled back up to her.

"I love you."

"I love you too, and you." Derek replied, and as if on cue the sound of the front door opening could be heard up the stairs. "and I love Ash too. We're going to have to tell her, there's no way we will be able to keep this a secret from her."

"I know, she's the one who suggested it, and I love her too. We'll have to tell her when we go down otherwise she'll practically interrogate us."

As soon as they walked into the living room, where Ashley was sat watching T.V, she turned to them expectantly but bit her tongue not wanting to rush an answer out of her father and Meredith. The two of them sat either side of her, and Ashley turned the TV off, knowing exactly what the conversation was going to be.

"So, it turns out you were right." Meredith smiled.

"I knew it!" Ashley exclaimed, leaning over to wrap her arms around Meredith. "I'm going to be a big sister." She grinned moments later.

Their dinner that night was filled with baby talk, as Ashley practically planned how the nursery would be and Meredith happily let her. She was more than grateful that she had so easily took to the idea of having a baby sibling, even if the age difference was going to be over 16 years. The three of them went to bed early, with it being a Monday the next day and Meredith hoping to get herself a blood test, then booked in for an ultrasound.

As Derek spooned Meredith in bed, his hand resting on her stomach, the only light in the room was from the streetlights outside. An idea had been running through his head for the past couple of months, and with the news they found out hours earlier, it never seemed more appropriate for him to bring the idea to conversation.

"Mer?" He asked, making sure she was still awake, to which he received a hum. "I was thinking the other day, I want to build us a house on the land. I was going to suggest we start after out wedding, so there's no construction work going on, but I could push the builders to get it done faster. There's already some blueprints in my trailer, so I could look at contacting someone?"

"You want to build us a house?"

"Yeah, one with six bedrooms and a huge open family space and land all around it to play outside, and close to the dock so I can teach our kids how to fish. And you can plan it exactly how you want it to be."

"That sounds perfect, but it's your land, you should plan it." Meredith insisted, to which Derek gently turned her so that she was facing him, her eyebrows furrowed at the change of position.

"As a part of my wedding gift to you, I wanted to give you shared rights to the land with me, so that it's our land. I was going to do it for Christmas but Lexie said I would probably give you a heart attack if I did that on top of a proposal."

"Probably." Meredith laughed. "Yes, I would love that."

The conversation slowly drifted away, as they each pitched a couple of ideas that they liked and slowly moved back into their original position. It didn't take long for sleep to come over the both of them and ideas of a dream house were floating through Meredith's mind.