Chapter Fourteen

With no hesitation, Meredith left the hospital. It was the middle of her shift and something she knew she shouldn't have done, but she left anyways. After all the ways Richard negatively impacted her childhood, he could at least let her have half of the day off.

As she sat down in her car, tears were brimming in her eyes, but Meredith hastily brushed them away wanting the flee the hospital as soon as she could. Driving away from the hospital, her pager continuously buzzed and it wasn't until Meredith turned on the radio of her car did she realise the severity of the page.

The moment that she heard the radio, she swerved her car around at the closest junction and drove back to the hospital, almost breaking the speed limit with her speed. When she began to approach the hospital, ambulances were driving in the opposite direction as fast as they would, and as she entered through the ER doors, people were rushing about: either setting up the ER or being assigned to said ambulances.

Meredith dashed off to get changed back into her scrubs and returned to the ER minutes later, there weren't any patients there yet, but she knew within the next half an hour the room would be crowded with patients. She pulled on a jacket and pants, then grabbed one of the bags filled with equipment.

"Where do you need me?" She asked April, who had a clipboard in her hand and was seeing surgeons in all different directions.

"Erm, hop into the back of that ambulance." April replied, pointing to one of the last ones left in the bay.

Before she could even process who was there with her, Meredith stepped into the ambulance and heaved the doors shut behind her. When she turned to face those she would be sharing the journey with, all the breath in her lungs disappeared and she felt frozen to the spot. It was only when the ambulance jolted forward did she remember to sit down and buckle herself up.

"Meredith." Derek said cautiously.

"Don't talk to me, not now and sure as hell not for a long time."

The interns sharing the ambulance pretended as though they weren't listening, playing with the sleeve of their jacket, or counting what was in their bags, but everyone knew they were engrossed in the communication between the two attendings.

"Meredith, please." Derek pleaded.

This time, Meredith just completely ignored him and instead asked the driver how long it would be till they arrived. She got a brief answer and the uncomfortable silence between the five people in the ambulance was covered by the sound of silence, which only increased in volume as they approached the dock.

When the arrived, the five of them unbuckled and the interns jumped out with wide eyes as they took in the sight in front of them. Meredith was quick to follow after them, and for once it wasn't because she was excited to practice medicine, but rather because she was looking forward to leaving Derek's presence: although she would never admit it.

"Meredith, please just let me explain." Derek said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Just stop. Leave me alone." Meredith replied, brushing his hand off her shoulder.

Derek felt as though he had been stabbed in the heart, as he watched her disappear into the crowd of chaos and further away from him. He quickly snapped back into the reality of his job when someone knocked past him, and he went over to triage.

An hour had passed and he was still looking out for Meredith, but at the same time he was drowning in patients. He was one of three neuro specialist at the dock and with the amount of casualties from the ferry boat crash, it just wasn't enough.

Ironic that. The same day Addison kissed him and ruins his relationship with Meredith was the same day of a ferry boat crash. He pondered over the chance of that happening and how it was God's way of laughing at him.