Chapter Forty Five

"I'd like to make an announcement please." Thatcher said, standing up and knocking the edge of us glass with a spoon.

Sat at the head table was the newly-weds, with Ashley, Mark and Carolyn on Derek's side and Lexie, Amelia and Thatcher. Meredith glanced at Derek with a momentary panic on her face, before turning to face her father. Although Meredith decided to walk down the aisle herself, they had decided that with Mark and Derek doing speeches, it was only fair for Thatcher to do one himself, as per tradition.

"I know I haven't necessarily been the best father for Meredith, but I do know that Derek is the person who makes my daughter the happiest. My fondest memory of Meredith is of the time it was snowing and I took her sledding, she must have been 5 at the time, and the smile on her face as a little girl, that's the smile she has every time she's around Derek. Derek, you bring out the best in Meredith and I cannot wait to see your life together begin. My one piece of advice for marriage is to listen to each other and appreciate every moment you have together. To Meredith and Derek."

A single tear trickled down Meredith's cheeks and she was quick to dab it away, whilst Thatcher shook Derek's hand. He then placed a kiss on his new step-granddaughters cheek, before another one of his daughters cheek.

"That was perfect dad, thank you." Meredith said to him, tears still in her eyes.

"You okay?" Derek asked his wife when she sat down.

"Never been better."

Everyone had began to talk amongst themselves, but as soon as Derek stood to make his speech as the groom, the room dropped to a silence.

"Good evening everyone, first of all, I just want to promise that I will keep this speech as short as possible: Mer has told me multiple times that I am not allowed to go off on a tangent and I know that Mark is desperate to give his speech, however thinking about it know I'm not sure if we should be allowing that. I'd like to start by thank you all for being here on such a special day for my wife and myself, we are both looking forward to dancing into the night with each and every one of you.
Now, my mother always told me to not go to out the day before a new job, but like always Mark convinced me to ignore her and the evening before I started my job at Seattle Grace we left the intern mixer to go across to Joe's Bar. The best thing ever came out of it and it was there that I met my gorgeous wife. At first our lives were opposites, with my muesli for breakfast and Meredith's grilled cheese, but overtime our lives have become one and we've only had to put out a fire twice. Sorry Mer, I promise I'll cook for us. Genuinely though, I couldn't imagine my life without Meredith. Not only have I gained a wife in Meredith, but Ashley has also gained a step-mum. It was just my luck that the two of them love pairing up against me, but I am grateful that the two of them have welcomed each other into their lives. I remember the first time they met each other, we were at a restaurant and I went to the bathroom, by the time I came back they were already keeping secrets from me!" Derek's speech began, before continuing to thank those who had contributed towards making their day so special and then circling back to talking about their relationship. "Mer, you look absolutely beautiful today and I love you so much."

The guests erupted in applause for the speech as Derek sat back down and placed a kiss on Meredith's lips before wiping away the tears collecting on her cheeks.

"I thought we did all the soppy speeches yesterday."

"I couldn't help myself, everyone needs to know how much I love you."

Derek wrapped his arm around Meredith and she placed her head on his shoulder for a moment, taking a deep breath and taking in the moment, and the immense amount of love she felt.

"I love you so much Der."

"I love you too."

They shared a kiss once again and let their foreheads rest against each other. Their moment was soon cut short by Mark as he stood up ready for his speech, making Derek groan and Meredith giggle softly.