Chapter Twenty Three

Christmas had always been an important time to the Shepherd family, so when Derek phoned his mother just after thanksgiving to tell her that he and Ashley would not be joining them this year, he received an earful of how he had distanced himself since moving to Seattle, how being around family is important for someone Ashley's age and how his sister were just as upset with him, not to mention his countless number of nieces and nephews.

However, Derek knew, and Ashley agreed when he suggested it, that he wanted to spend Christmas in Seattle with Meredith. She was his family now, and as much as his loved his mother and sister, he wouldn't be lying when he said he would have preferred a quite Christmas between the three of them.

So that was how it was left. Carolyn finally accepted her sons decision and let him be, but making him promise that he would make it up to her next year with an extra long stay, he mumbled something about doctors unpredictable schedules and she hushed his excuses, dropping the matter.

The morning was quiet to say the least, in comparison to other years when children would come through bouncing on his bed, eager to wake up 'Uncle Derek' to see if Father Christmas had left presents for them. Rather than waking up before the sun, the three of them took advantage of the day without an alarm clock and Ashley stumbled down to meet her father and Meredith in the kitchen at gone 10am.

Pancakes, waffles and mugs of hot chocolate were made, the eagerness to rip open wrapping paper not as evident as other years. The three of them didn't lack conversation as they practically inhaled the food in front of them.

Only when they were satisfyingly full did they move through to the living room, and once she saw the presents, Ashley's childlike attitude had reappeared, sitting cross-legged next to the tree with a smile on her face. Meredith grinned back at her, this was the first Christmas she was actually spending with family and she had never been more excited.

"I want to go first," Ashley said, picking a present from under the tree, "Meredith, this is for you."

Meredith accepted the wrapped gift with a large smile, her heart swelling at the thought of Ashley going out to buy a present for her. She unwrapped the paper to find a small jewellery box, which she then opened to find a pair of earrings, plain studs with a lilac stone in the middle of them.

"I know they're not much but I know that lilac is your favourite colour." Ashley began to ramble.

"Ashley, they're perfect, I love them." Meredith said getting up to give Ashley a hug. "Thank you."

Presents continued to be exchanged between the three of them, with Ashley receiving some accessories for the car she had recently got for her sixteenth birthday, some clothes and money, Meredith getting the new stethoscope she had wanted for months amongst other things and Derek's personal favourite gift being a new watch.

After the quantity they all ate at breakfast, none of them were needing lunch and were more than happy to wait until dinner. Ashley had made arrangements with her friends to meet up for a Christmas coffee in the early afternoon, something Derek would have refused, but he understood the importance of strengthening new friendships.

She said her goodbyes and promised to be back within two hours, so Derek knew that it was the perfect opportunity to take Meredith back up to the land. Meredith snuck her arms around his waist and Derek almost gave in to her, but knew that he had to take her now.

"Later Mer," he promised, turning around to place a quick kiss on her lips. "Wrap up warm, we're going to the land."

"What- Derek, Ashley's out it's the perfect time and it's cold outside."

"Trust me." Derek convinced.

Both of them wrapped up in multiple layers of jumpers and scarves and coats, it was the middle of winter and bound to be next to freezing on the land. Meredith pouted the whole car journey over, claiming that she couldn't feel her toes as they were so cold. When they arrived at the ferry boat it was unusually quiet, but that was expected for Christmas Day, so the two of them had the top deck to themselves.

After the journey across the water, the final stretch to the land was full of empty roads as they passed not a single other person and their conversation was light-hearted the whole way. Derek was honestly surprised to see the two trailers stood there, after all it had been almost two months since anyone had ventured out to the land.

Derek practically pulled Meredith out of her car seat and dragged her along the land to the opening where he had first told her he loved him. She made sure not to trip like she did the first time and followed closely in his footsteps.

"Look at that view." Derek whispered in her ears as she stood with her back to her chest.

"It is pretty amazing."

"You want to know what else is pretty amazing?"

"Why do I feel like this is going to be some corny love remark?"

"You know me all too well."

Derek drank in the humour they shared and the joy he got from spending any amount of time with her, whether it be short or he's fortunate enough for it to be long. What he did know is that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Meredith, and when he noticed the way she nestled back into his chest, he knew he had to do it there and then.

"Mer," he began, pulling her from his chest and holding tightly onto her arms. "From the night I met you in the bar I knew your were perfect, I just didn't realise at that moment in time exactly how important you would be to me. You have changed my life for the better and I know that if we had not ended up both working at Seattle Grace, I probably would have used my so called stalker skills to find you, because what I do know is that I cannot live without you. Everyday you continue to amaze me to new extremes. I am beyond grateful for the relationship you have with Ashley and know that my daughter would not be half as comfortable in Seattle as she is now if it wasn't for you. The day I thought I had lost you, both physically and emotionally, I struggled to function. I can't imagine and don't want to have to imagine my life without you Meredith. I want a lifetime with you. Meredith Grey, will you marry me?" Derek asked, crouching down on one knee and pulling out the ring box from his pocket.

Although she clearly knew what the answer to his question would be, Meredith found herself speechless, overwhelmed at the thought of someone being so in love with her.

"Yes Derek, yes." She said, letting him slip the ring onto her finger and then lowering herself to his level to place a kiss on his lips.

Before she had a chance to do anything else, Derek had lifted her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist with a squeal, as he carried her back in the direction of the trailers.

"I promised later didn't I?" He asked with a grin as they stepped into the trailers.