chapter fifteen

I didn't see Jasper all weekend. He was gone on a hiking trip with his family. Bella was busy helping Angela with her graduation cards. My dad was hanging out with Charlie. They had grown pretty close, which was nice.

But being alone made me feel . . . lonely.

I tried to do things to cheer myself up, but I didn't want to ruin my favorite things to do either. I put on something from Netflix as I laid in bed. I would watch it in between naps. I hadn't really gotten out of bed all weekend. I hadn't showered or brushed my teeth. I brought a bag of chips up, and I had a handful before feeling like eating was pointless.

I also didn't get out of bed to take my medicine. I should have. I really should have, but I just couldn't. So I skipped a couple days of my medicine, which made me feel even worse.

When Monday came around, it was the worst it had been all weekend. Dad had checked in on me a couple of times and told me to stay home if it was still bad. He had to go to work early, so I knew I wouldn't see him until tonight.

I woke up at the time I normally would for school. It was a habit. I tried to fall back to sleep and just got mad at myself that I couldn't shut my brain off for a little bit longer, so I turned on whatever show I started watching.

I laid in bed covered in a pile of blankets when I heard the doorbell ring. I figured I'd ignore it and pretend I wasn't home until I heard it again. I groaned as I dragged myself into a sitting position. I was cold, so I brought a blanket downstairs with me.

The doorbell kept ringing as I made my way down the stairs at a snail's pace, which was the fastest I could manage.

"I'm coming," I yelled, annoyed. Who could possibly be at the door this early in the morning?

I flung open the door with one hand while the other clutched the blanket wrapped around me. I was shocked when I saw Jasper standing there. I completely forgot that he takes me to school.

I stood with my mouth open, not knowing what to say.

The smile that was on Jasper's face slowly disappeared as he took in my appearance. He instantly knew I didn't feel good. His eyebrows furrowed together as he held my gaze. "Are you okay?"

The way he said it was so sweet. He really wanted to know how I was.

I quickly nodded my head. My eyes started to fill with tears. I tried my best to hold them back. I paused for a second and then shook my head.

Jasper grabbed my waist and pulled me in for a hug. I buried my face into his chest and started to cry. He walked me back into the house. I heard the door shut behind him, but he kept his arms around me.

We stood in the entryway for a while. I tried my hardest to stop crying, but I couldn't stop. I eventually evened my breathing out enough for me to talk.

I pulled my head back and wiped my tears. "I'm so sorry. I just forgot to take my medicine, and then I was by myself this weekend. I just wasn't feeling the best and whatever I tried to do wasn't working. And I just couldn't get out of bed. I haven't eaten like anything, and I probably smell awful because I've just been under this pile of blankets all weekend, and–"

"Violet," Jasper said so softly. "It's okay. Let's take this one thing at a time, okay?"

He paused waiting for me to respond. His hands rubbed up and down my arms in reassurance. I nodded my head and took a couple deep breaths.

"Okay. You said you forgot to take your medicine. Did you take it this morning?"

I lowered my head in shame. I hadn't taken it in a while. It's not like I had been out of bed though this morning.