chapter eight

A couple of days passed and there was no sign of Jasper. I was really starting to worry. Why would he need to be out of school that long?

I wasn't feeling any better. My friends tried to cheer me up and include me in conversation, but I just couldn't.

I spent the weekend working on the big science presentation. I hated presenting, and I knew that this was going to be bad. My anxiety was already bad, and presenting was just going to make it worse. I tried not to think about it because then I would overthink it.

On Monday, I still felt the same . . . until I pulled up to school. My mood changed slightly. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I wasn't walking towards it or anything, but it was there. I could see hope.

Something was different today.

Bella could see I was feeling better. Her efforts to make my day better weren't wasted today. I laughed at her silly jokes. I even got a lot of work done and paid attention in class. Like actually paid attention. Not just staring at the board writing down what I hear the teacher saying. I actually got something from class today.

I was excited to get even more work done in third period. Maybe if I finished all my work I'd be able to read tonight.

As I walked into the library, there was someone sitting at my usual table. I was disappointed until I saw who it was. A certain blonde boy who has been gone from school.

A smile broke out on my face.

As if sensing my presence, Jasper turned around, and he had just as big of a smile on his face. He was excited to see me.

I practically jogged over to the table. When I got closer, Jasper stood up. Before I even got a chance to set my bag down, he hugged me.

I don't really like it when people touched me, but this hug made me change my mind. He gave me a squeeze as if to put all the pieces of my broken self back together. I was so happy. I tucked my face into his chest. I closed my eyes, afraid that when I opened them I would be imagining it all.

"I missed you," Jasper practically whispered into my hair. It was like it was a secret to be shared only with me.

"I missed you too," I whispered back and pulled my head away to look at him. "Are you feeling better?"

"I am now," he said as he looked at me.

I blushed and lowered my head. He knew exactly what to say. Being around him made me forget about all the awful things I've felt these past few days.

"I'm sorry I was gone so long." He didn't seem like he wanted to explain further, and I didn't really want any answers. I had a feeling it would be better if I just accepted that he was back.

"It's okay. As long as you don't plan on leaving like that again."

He chuckled. "I don't plan on it."

We just stared and smiled at each other. I saw his eyes slowly drift to my lips. He paused there for a second. He then cleared his throat and pulled away.

"So what did I miss in class?" he asked.

I tried to fill him in on everything but was failing miserably. There was no way I could tell him a week's worth of homework in one class period.

The bell rang, but we still needed more time. Then, an idea came to me.

"You could come over tonight if you want," I suggested hesitantly. "You can finish catching up."

Jasper smirked a little at my offer. "I would love that."

I grinned from ear to ear. I would be able to spend more time with Jasper. I was already anxiously awaiting lunch as he walked me to my class. I couldn't wait to see him more. With one last squeeze of my hand, he headed off to his class.

When I walked in with a smile, Bella curiously looked at me until I walked down.

"Hey, did you hear Jasper's back today?" I asked. I was trying to be casual, but Bella quickly caught on that he was the reason why I was so happy.

She smirked and leaned back in her chair. "I didn't know that."

"Um yeah, we spent our study hall period with each other," I admitted shyly.

"Did you catch him up from being gone?"

"Actually, we didn't have enough time, so he's coming over to my house after school."

Bella's eyebrows raised in realization. "I see."

"Yeah, I figured I'd help him out since he tried to help me out before."

"Mhmm."

Before I could continue, the teacher started class. It seemed to drag on extra slow.

When the bell finally rang, I practically sprinted to lunch. Bella had this look on her face, but I brushed it off. When I went through the line to get food, I actually grabbed a lot. I was finally hungry.

Walking away from the line, I locked eyes with Jasper, and we both smiled. He seemed excited to see me. I sat next to him at the table. We both blabbered on about nothing during lunch and fifth period. Neither of us brought up the last few days. Being with Jasper made me forget about how bad it can get. I never wanted to let go of this feeling, but sadly I had to for sixth period.