Power Fantasy: Reconstructed

"What would you do if you had super powers for one day? Become revered as a God, or support the gnats?"

Heat vision? Give fire to the homeless out on the street with nowhere to go.

Super speed? Save a fellow kid from those that direct their power towards the weak and remind them that it's going to be okay. Just hold your head high. A day will come when all that suffering will be worth it.

Create anything with a thought? Money. To feed his starving self, give a bit to the others at his age with nowhere to go and no one who wanted them either. To pay for a bed that wasn't littered in garbage and food that wasn't leftover trash heaps.

Flight. To be able to see what the world was like. To see whether the beauty in the world was worth living to reach, to fight for, to find for with his own eyes, find others like him, and help lift others off their feet. Much like the hand he always extended in search of someone, yet no one would ever take it.

He woke up from the dream. None of those would ever happen. He got up from his trash bags. His energy faded, stomach howling, fingers struggling to move, and legs fighting to walk out of the alley. To find someone who would take his hand. That dream gave him a senseless, yet fleeting resolution.

Then, he walked out of the alleyways, and collapsed on his floor. As he slightly lifted his head up, the image of a hand reached out to him appeared in his eyes before his eyes closed.

When he woke up, he found himself on a bed and a heavenly delight in front of him, food. Then he looked up and a dark skinned man appeared next to the bed and rested his head down.

"You're the kid who ran away from the orphanage. The one who was rejected over hundreds of times, aren't you. Take it easy and eat, you've been out for a while."

"Who-who are you?"

"I was coming to see you the next day. But when I came, you were gone. I don't have that much, but I know what's like to feel like you don't have a home. And I wanted to give that joy to someone else. It's a miracle I happened to find you there."

He slowly reached out to grab the food, but the older man took his hand.

"The doctor told me to make sure you get as much rest as you can," grabbing the plate for him and feeding it to him. "I'm off work this week so I'll spend the whole time making sure you get better, alright?"

He ate the food. Some felt odd, some felt spicy, some felt unusual, but they all had something in common. His mouth ate up the fantasy that was now becoming a reality, and every bite granted him a bit of power.

His new father wasn't a God, but he was grateful that the man was willing to support a gnat such as himself.

Support the author if you can with his first book at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TC364S2