Chapter 16*

Caroline

We made our mends and ate and talked. I was still mad at Dick, and he knew that, but I decided that conversation was for another day. We finally left the Manor, mentally preparing ourselves for the mission waiting for us in the morning.

"This is the information for the hotel in DC." Dick handed me a piece of paper with an alias name, a credit card matching that name, and the address of the hotel.

"Dick, what was the point of being in DC, are you going to stay there?" I asked still confused about the details. 

"You two are our secret weapons in a sense, I also saw the place you guys live in, I need someone placed in DC in case anything happens and it's a good excuse to gift you guys a hotel room." Dick blushed, he was so sweet, his way of 'approving' our relationship in a sense.

"Thank you." I slipped the items in my pocket and walked towards the Zetatube, hyper-aware of the other item sitting in my pocket. Jason and Dick 'bro-hugged' before he joined me at the Zetatube.

Washington DC August 23, 2:51 AM EST

We arrived at the hotel soon after exiting the Zetatube, I sat down on the bed while Jason swept the place for bugs. Looking at the small wrapped box in my hands I contemplated opening the purple confetti wrapping paper.

"What'cha got there." Jason inquired walking over to me. 

"A gift. One I never opened." I thought back to the day it happened.

"Hey, anyone miss me?" I exclaimed to get their attention. They all turned and looked at me. Something was wrong, the air in the room was thick with tension. They then all stood up and walked over to me. Kaldur was about to say something when Robin stopped him and walked over to me.

He leaned down grabbed something from his utility belt and whispered in my ear "Happy Birthday Caroline. I need you to know I was outvoted." He then put a small box in my hands hugged me and walked back to the team.

I had sent it to Alfred in secret, I was so mad I never opened it. Sending it to Alfred put it out of sight and out of mind. Knowing he had it just in case.

Jason raised a brow. "Dick gave it to me for my birthday." I didn't have to explain anymore, he knew.

I sighed and pulled the gold bow off and ripped apart the paper surrounding a small black box. Pulling off the top it revealed a small silver heart, on a delicate chain. Looking closer I noticed a clasp. Jason sat down next to me and helped me investigate. I opened the heart, it revealed the photo of Dick, Alfred, Bruce, and I, taken in the Manor gardens. The same photo that used to reside on my nightstand, the only photo I took with me when I left. 

That picture was on the left, but on the right was a selfie Dick had taken of us, still in gear as Robin and Puffin. It was taken a couple of days before the mission that put me in a coma, we had been on patrol all night, all we had really done was stop a few drug deals and robberies. I remembered what made that night special. We had found a lost little girl, we helped her get home back to her mom. The look on her face was heartwarming, her mom shared the look. I could tell the child was loved, and getting her home was one of the greater accomplishes I had as Puffin.

A single tear fell down my cheek, Jay noticed and wiped it away. 

"Want to wear it, smash, burn or throw it away." I laughed and handed it to him. Moving my hair for him, he clasped it around my neck, it was a fairly long chain, long enough to hide under my shirt. 

* (a/n this is where the Rated R scene starts)

I stood up and kissed Jason deeply. He reached up and grabbed the back of my head and neck. I sighed into his lips, my hands finding their way to his cheeks I cradled his head in my hands, pressing my body into his.