Chapter 4: Hogwarts Away!

A booming voice rang out "New students at Hogwarts! The name's Hagrid! We'll be ridin' the boats across the lake to the castle! Hope yer don't get seasick." The students got into the boat and the boats started moving by themselves. The students gazed at the huge castle in awe as it loomed over the lake. As the boats moved along Ricky could have sworn he saw a giant tentacle bob up and down in the distance.

"Is it just me, or did a huge tentacle come out of the water?

"Oh, that's just the giant squid that lives in the lake. Mum told me about it once," said Grace while she peered over the boat into the water.

"WHOA WHOA WHOA. GIANT SQUID?" Ricky yelped. "I KNEW PERCY SHOULD'VE BEEN HERE!" The boat started to rock dangerously.

"Ricky! He would chop it up into pieces! And you're gonna make this boat tip over!" whined Kennade.

"Will you two shush? We're almost there!" scolded Evelyn. The boats came to a stop at a ginormous castle. It had tall towers on either side and gargoyles posted on top of two pillars at the front entrance. As they stepped out of the boats, a woman came out from behind two enormous wooden doors. She had bushy brown hair, a pointed witch's hat, and magenta robes.

"They're all yers, Hermione," said Hagrid as he helped a couple of students out of the boats.

"First years, follow me," she said in a kind but strict voice. The first years followed Professor Granger into the school. All of a sudden, a wave of cold air drifted in. Students gasped and turned around. When they turned around, about twenty ghosts floated in from the walls. Some students shuddered when ghosts passed through them.

"Wicked" Ricky muttered under his breath.

"I read about ghosts in my book!" whispered Elena to the closest person next to her. "Ghosts have always been a part of Hogwarts. I read that in Hogwarts: A History".

Elena and Evelyn kept rambling on about 'cool' facts they learned from their books until Professor Granger paused at another wooden door that slowly opened with a wave of her wand. As the door opened, hundreds of pairs of eyes stared at the new students as Professor Granger led them to the very front of the room. Four long tables were positioned vertically toward the other long table where all the professors sat. Students in the back stood up to get a good look at the first years as they stood there wide-eyed and curious. At the very front of the room stood a stool with a dusty worn-away black hat. Suddenly a wide crease formed at the front of the hat that grew wider and wider until it started to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,