Chapter 2, P9 - Our secret

A moment was all it took for that blind rage to be released. It scared everyone away from him, leaving this terrible, aching feeling inside his chest.

"Can we play?" He pleaded, only for the kids to move away or yell at him to leave them alone.

The teacher was wary of him, always on edge, treating him like a broken toy beyond repair. She would always side against him no matter the situation.

The context didn't matter. He was wrong by existing. He wasn't supposed to be there. He was ruining everything for everyone.

"Look at those hands. He's a hybrid, be careful." He'd hear their parents warn their children right in front of him, not even the decency to pretend.

Gloves were itchy, like cages, trying to hide a truth he hated so much. His paws were a symbol of shame, a sign of humiliation, their eyes constantly glaring, their voices sharp like broken glass and he was all alone.

"You're a monster! How dare you hurt my child!" The mother screamed, gathering all attention and support on herself. "I won't stand by this anymore! Mistakes like you don't need to be in school, they need to be in some psychiatric ward!"

He was afraid, all those feelings, all that pain, piling up day after day. His mind shut down and his body moved on his own, shaking at the realization that maybe they were right all along.

"Nova did what?" His mother, surprised and apologetic, listened to what they told her from the other side of that phone. "I see... I understand. We'll be moving again soon please let him stay for another week or so, yes, I'll pay more if needed."

Later that day someone chucked a brick through one of their windows, shattering it in the process. Nova couldn't stop looking at the word die written on top.

"Mom what's wrong with me?" He wished to know why he was born the way he was.

His mother hugged, gently enveloping her body against his. "There's nothing wrong with you..."

Those words, the smallest sign of comfort, was the catalyst that let everything out. "I didn't want to punch him. I swear, I didn't want to do that!"

"I know, hun. I know the real you but they can't see it. All they see is the color of your paws."

Nova cried, sobbed, his voice screeched as it cracked. He had nothing but that.

It was a cycle he couldn't break. No matter how many times they reset things stayed the same. He watched it happening over and over.

"Don't worry. You can try again at this new school we found."

"I can't try. They don't let me try. I will lose my temper again."

"This time it will be different, I promise."

Nova jolted awake, forced back from his memories by the violent and somewhat aggressive shaking from his phone deeply buried in that pocket.

Cody messaged him, hurrying an answer from him. He seemed worried about Nova.

"You knew, didn't you?" He spoke to himself, refusing to compose the answer his friend desired.

The day they met has always been precious and important for him, so much so that the memory of it was extremely vivid.

"You're the new kid right? I should warn you that guy is dangerous, stay away from him."

He didn't listen to their hate and no matter how many times they tried to change his mind he never abandoned him.

"Are you crying?"