• Chapter Thirty-Six •

An hour later, Katherine had met with Benedict only to appear shocked when she looked at his face.

He had a bruise on his cheek, the bleeding under his skin giving it a nasty blue-purple colour.

"Did he do that?" She asked as she approached him.

"Do not blame him." The young lord immediately protested. He felt as though he deserved it after what he had done.

The young lady gave him a pointed look. "I told him to mend your relationship.." She said.

"We did." He replied. "After he got his satisfaction."

She found it strange. How could he be so nonchalant when his brother had literally fisted him.

"You should have let him believe that I kissed you.." She said with a soft sigh.

"I could not." He responded. "You two are meant for each other.. Like magnets.. If you move, he moves.."

"But you two are brothers.. Close brothers." She replied. "And you both are so dense. You are family and I cannot stand in the way of that."

"And you wont have to." He said.

"Good." She replied.

"Because I am letting you go.." He added.

She arched a brow at him in question. "I can only assume that you are going to say that it was a drunken mistake." She said.

"Well, it was, I must admit.." He began. "But it is also because I've become attracted to someone else."

The young lady opened her mouth, only to close it again as she tried to process what he had just said. "So, you have ruined my engagement for someone else?" She questioned.

"Blame drunk me." Benedict replied. "It was a spur of the moment.. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't attracted to you any longer."

"Now I wish to punch you." Katherine muttered with a roll of her eyes.

"Go ahead." He said. "I cannot look any worse than his hand." He added in referral to Anthony.

She closed her eyes and shook her head as she tried to supress her smile.

She was relieved that there would be no awkwardness between her and Benedict, and was relieved to know that the brothers have sorted out the issue.

Now, she had to wait for Anthony's return.

She waited the entire day and there was still no show of the Viscount.

It was nearing midnight.

She sighed softly to herself and began to pack her suitcases into the carriage until a voice spoke up from behind her.

"You are still leaving.."

She closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath. "I thought you were not going to show.." She replied and turned to face him.

"I have been standing her for a good minute." Anthony said.

Without a second thought, Katherine ran over to him and pulled him into a passionate, loving kiss which the Viscount immediately responded to as he wrapped his arms securely around her waist.

She pulled away slightly. "I did not kiss Benedict.. I swear.." She whispered against his lips before she looked up at him. "I only said it because I know your family means a great deal to you.. I love you, Anthony."

"I know.." He said. "He told me everything."

"Then you will know that my heart and every part of me belongs to you and that I would never hurt you like that.." She responded. "You are the one for me.."

A soft smile graced his lips as he pulled her closer towards his body.

"I love you.." The young lady said.

"I love you too." The Viscount replied, bringing his hand up to stroke her cheek lightly.

She smiled up at him, leaning her face into his hand for a brief moment. "Follow me.." She said suddenly and took his hand into hers.

She lead him inside Hastings House and went upstairs to her bedroom where she paused and turned around to face him as he stared at her silently in question.

"I would like my ring back, please.." She asked with a smile. "Perhaps I should glue it to my finger." She added, teasing him with a smirk.

Anthony chuckled lightly and retrieved the ring from the pocket of his coat. He then took hold of her left hand and removed her glove before he slid the item of jewellery on to her ring finger.

She stared at her engagement ring with a bright smile before she shifted her gaze to his; dark brown meeting dark brown.

"I love you." She said, wrapping her arms around him as he wrapped his own around her.

"I love you too." He responded and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead. "New vow.." He said.

"Yes?" She questioned, waiting for him to continue.

"Always be honest with each other." He said. "No matter how much it may hurt, we can work through it."

She gave him a soft smile. "I thought I was protecting you." She responded.

"I know." He replied. "And I forgive you."

She remained silent, just merely staring up at him which made the eldest Bridgerton frown softly.

"What is it?" He asked with a small frown.

"Nothing." She replied, shaking her head lightly. "I am just happy that we overcame this."